HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » National Federation of Nu...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 08:01 PM

National Federation of Nurses to affiliate with the AFT

Source: American Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO

The leaders of two labor organizations representing healthcare professionals announced on Feb. 14 that they have approved an affiliation agreement that will bring 34,000 registered nurses into the AFT, the largest union of professionals in the AFL-CIO.

The National Federation of Nurses, which represents nurses across the country, will affiliate with the AFT, whose 1.5 million members include more than 48,000 nurses and thousands of other healthcare professionals.

"Both educators and nurses are nurturers. This partnership solidifies the unity between those who nurture body and mind—those who heal our communities with those who educate our children," says AFT president Randi Weingarten. "But nurturers need muscle to advocate on behalf of the students and patients they serve. The affiliation is great news for nurses, their patients and patient care. It is a partnership based on mutual interests, mutual respect, and a mutual desire to provide our members with the tools and conditions they need to advocate for the people they serve."

Barbara Crane, a registered nurse and president of the NFN, says, "A strong voice for nurses is particularly important now in this time of transition when America's healthcare system is being redesigned. Nurses are the most trusted healthcare providers, and this new partnership with the AFT will enable us to continue to be the voice for the patients we serve."

FULL story at link.

Read more: http://www.aft.org/newspubs/news/2013/021413nfn.cfm

Worth reading again: largest union of professionals in the AFL-CIO!

3 replies, 1235 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply National Federation of Nurses to affiliate with the AFT (Original post)
Omaha Steve Feb 2013 OP
Ilsa Feb 2013 #1
iandhr Feb 2013 #2
Proletariatprincess Feb 2013 #3

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 08:06 PM

1. Awesome! Even Rethugs know better than

To screw with nurses!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 08:55 PM

2. Nurses will be represented by the teachers union?

Am I the only one who finds that odd?

Someone please enlighten me.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 12:00 AM

3. I have mixed feelings about union mergers.

The idea of big powerful unions taking on the bosses is a powerful one, but as a union rep I saw lots of such mergers and no great result came of them. The members were proud to belong to the bigger union, but there were less engaged than when their unions were more specialized to a craft or industry. We can never forget that the membership IS the union. The members themselves seem to need reminding of that sometimes. Solidarity is what gives a union the power to take on it's enemies....not just numbers. I wish the teachers and the nurses much success and solidarity forever.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread