HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » From national championshi...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 03:19 PM

From national championship to jail for 4 Alabama football players

Source: CNN

According to police, Pettway, Hayes and Williams punched and kicked a student shortly after midnight Monday until he was unconscious, CNN affiliate WVTM reported.

The student's backpack with an Apple Macbook Pro was stolen, police said.

About an hour later, Williams allegedly beat up another student until he, too, lost consciousness and took his wallet, WTVM said.

Hayes and Pettway waited in a vehicle, police said.

Read more: http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/13/justice/alabama-football-player-arrests/index.html?hpt=hp_bn1

Definitely not "role models."

________

31 replies, 3761 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 31 replies Author Time Post
Reply From national championship to jail for 4 Alabama football players (Original post)
KansDem Feb 2013 OP
ForgoTheConsequence Feb 2013 #1
sinkingfeeling Feb 2013 #2
ForgoTheConsequence Feb 2013 #19
KansDem Feb 2013 #5
xtraxritical Feb 2013 #14
ForgoTheConsequence Feb 2013 #20
get the red out Feb 2013 #3
theHandpuppet Feb 2013 #13
get the red out Feb 2013 #21
UncleYoder Feb 2013 #25
Sekhmets Daughter Feb 2013 #27
LiberalFighter Feb 2013 #4
alp227 Feb 2013 #6
Libelfred Feb 2013 #7
bamacrat Feb 2013 #9
radicalliberal Feb 2013 #16
bamacrat Feb 2013 #23
radicalliberal Feb 2013 #24
bamacrat Feb 2013 #28
radicalliberal Feb 2013 #29
bamacrat Feb 2013 #30
FreeBC Feb 2013 #8
Zoeisright Feb 2013 #10
KansDem Feb 2013 #11
geek tragedy Feb 2013 #12
Posteritatis Feb 2013 #15
radicalliberal Feb 2013 #17
get the red out Feb 2013 #26
ForgoTheConsequence Feb 2013 #18
radicalliberal Feb 2013 #22
mikeytherat Feb 2013 #31

Response to KansDem (Original post)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 03:23 PM

1. Not role models?

You don't say?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ForgoTheConsequence (Reply #1)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 03:25 PM

2. Who's the cutie in your picture?

Reply to this post

Response to sinkingfeeling (Reply #2)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:25 PM

19. Haha I don't know him/her personally.

But this picture puts me in a good mood whenever I'm feeling down.

Reply to this post

Response to ForgoTheConsequence (Reply #1)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 04:28 PM

5. A bit of an understatement, I'll admit...

But these football players were part of a team that won the national championship. One might be inclined to think they had a future in pro ball. How many college graduates can say their futures are looking this bright?

With that in mind, for them to beat folks into unconsciousness then rob them is just plain stupid.

From potential "role model" to felon.

(Incidentally, I've never believed that athletes were "role models" to begin with. Just aping the media narrative)

Reply to this post

Response to KansDem (Reply #5)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 06:20 PM

14. Football, military, same bullshit.

Reply to this post

Response to KansDem (Reply #5)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:26 PM

20. Haha you would think.

Nothing surprises me with college athletes anymore. I love college football but the whole institution is so corrupt.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 04:10 PM

3. That's terrible!!!!!

I'm glad they "suspended them indefinitely" but really they should have been kicked off the team, period. These guys shouldn't be anywhere near a college campus after doing this to other college students.

So sad for the students who were beaten and robbed.

Reply to this post

Response to get the red out (Reply #3)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 06:06 PM

13. I guess it's a good thing they didn't get tattoos

Otherwise the school would have been banned from bowl games and suffered several years of lost scholarships.

Reply to this post

Response to theHandpuppet (Reply #13)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:43 PM

21. Yep

I agree.

Reply to this post

Response to theHandpuppet (Reply #13)

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 12:36 PM

25. hello there, fellow Buckeye. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to get the red out (Reply #3)

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 12:54 PM

27. They probably will be once proven guilty. n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 04:20 PM

4. They should be banned from college sports.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 04:46 PM

6. If the students had guns...gosh maybe not

because the whole school would demonize the students for shooting at those sacred national champion football players.

Reply to this post

Response to Libelfred (Reply #7)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 05:26 PM

9. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

Saban recruits the best. He looks at both character as well as ability. This incident was regrettable and sad, but to slam Saban is dumb, and reeks of either jealousy or lack of knowledge. Since Saban has been here the amount of off the field issues has been so minimal in comparison of other big time programs its amazing. His graduation rates are higher than national averages, and the on field performance is unprecedented. Saban has recruited and signed nearly 200 athletes and so far 4 have tainted the program. Most every other coach in the country would kill for that stat.

Roll Tide and welcome to DU

Reply to this post

Response to bamacrat (Reply #9)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:03 PM

16. You could call it collateral damage.

I'm sure the two students who were beaten to the point of unconsciousness feel better, knowing that Coach Saban has such a great record.

Reply to this post

Response to radicalliberal (Reply #16)

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 09:53 AM

23. Well they don't want to press charges.

Of course the state and local officials will but the students didn't. Also I was addressing your claim that Saban will take anyone as long as they can play, which is not the case. Not whether it was justifiable.

Reply to this post

Response to bamacrat (Reply #23)

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 12:19 PM

24. Hi! :)

Just to possibly clear up a misunderstanding (which is a common occurrence in online forums): The DU member to whom you responded initially was one Libelfred. He did not come back to you as radicalliberal. I do declare that I am not he.

What follows is not a criticism of you, bamacrat, but is simply some general observations. So, please don't take offense.

The two victims who were beaten to the point of unconsciousness don't want to press charges? That's amazing. I wonder why they don't want to do that. Is it because they fear a negative reaction from some of the football fans at the university (which, frankly, wouldn't surprise me)? Do they adhere to some religious or philosophical code that has taken "Turn the other cheek" to the extreme? The problem with not reporting crimes such as physical assault or rape is that the perpetrators are likely to do it again to another unfortunate victim or victims. I've noticed at several other webpages that have reported this crime that the comments have often focused on some aspect other than the victims. I've noticed in cases such as this that the victims are often overlooked and eventually forgotten, if not victimized again (such has been the case with victims of rape).

By the way, a guy who is considerably stronger than his victim is a gutless coward. I'm supposed to admire a guy like this simply because he happens to excel at a sport? Apparently, in the minds of some (if not many) people, the answer is "Yes."

Reply to this post

Response to radicalliberal (Reply #24)

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 03:43 PM

28. Hello.

I agree with you.

Reply to this post

Response to bamacrat (Reply #28)

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 12:23 PM

29. I'm relieved. :)

I was afraid I had made someone mad again (a common phenomenon in online forums). Sometimes I'm misunderstood because I don't express myself well (another common online phenomenon).

You currently reside in Alabama, I presume (from your username); and I currently reside in Texas, most of whose politicians embarrass or discourage me. We're neighbors! (Well, relatively speaking.)

Reply to this post

Response to radicalliberal (Reply #29)

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 12:27 PM

30. That's cool.

No anger here, hard to hear inflection in written word. I do live in Alabama, was born here, went to BAMA, I just moved back from Dallas though. My wife and I lived there for about three years. Neighbors in more ways than one.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 05:10 PM

8. This should give them a big jump in the Fulmer Cup standings

The Fulmer Cup, a creation of Spencer Hall/Orson Swindle of Everyday Should Be Saturday fame, is a way of tracking and celebrating the offseason legal transgressions of our favorite and not-so favorite college football teams. Because there’s nothing more entertaining or schadenfreudeing then reveling in the misfortune of 18-22 year old males who won the genetic lottery and are in the process of possibly pissing it all away.

http://www.sportsargumentwiki.com/index.php?title=Fulmer_Cup

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 05:27 PM

10. This is why I don't watch football.

I used to be a huge football fan when I was younger. Then all of the shit about players abusing their wives and girlfriends, and getting drunk the driving, and being general assholes completely turned me off.

As far as I'm concerned most are thugs, whose personalities are completely damaged by the violence of that "game".

Reply to this post

Response to Zoeisright (Reply #10)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 05:46 PM

11. I have to agree...

I played football when I was in my teens and had my favorite teams and players. But that was 35 years ago. Now I don't watch any sports except track and field (I ran cross country and was a pole vaulter in high school).

As far as I'm concerned most are thugs, whose personalities are completely damaged by the violence...

There is a book I've been meaning to read:

"Pros and Cons: The Criminals Who Play in the NFL" by Jeff Benedict and Don Yaeger (1998)

Amazon.com Review

Startling in its breadth, Benedict and Yaeger's investigation into the off-the-field violence and criminal behavior that pervades the culture of professional football is as eye opening as it is disturbing. That these guys get into trouble is nothing new, but when their offenses are collected in one place--with mug shots, court records, police reports, and interviews with arresting officers--the effect is as surreal as the statistics: 21 percent of the NFL's players have been charged with a serious crime.

How serious? The docket begins with assault, rape, and domestic violence and keeps spiraling out of control. These are not just blind allegations; the authors name names and match felonies to players. Some of the better-known examples: Cornelius Bennett--rape and sexual assault; Cortez Kennedy--domestic violence; Michael Irvin--cocaine and marijuana possession; Nate Newton--sexual assault; Warren Moon--domestic violence; Jake Plummer--sexual abuse; Andre Rison--aggravated assault; Bruce Smith--driving under the influence; and Deion Sanders--aggravated assault, disorderly convict, trespassing, and battery.

Yet, as disturbing as the names and numbers are, Benedict and Yaeger's contention, backed by exhaustive research, is even worse: the league pretty much looks away, tacitly condoning the havoc caused by these overpaid, coddled men-children, whose very propensity for unchecked mayhem fills stadiums on Sunday. But, then, in the NFL's view of things, football is the law. Make no mistake about Pros and Cons though; as sensational as much of it is, this is a serious work with serious footnotes compiled by serious journalists, who, in the end, do something the game's establishment has avoided: they offer a detailed "Game Plan" for addressing the issues they raise. It begins with respecting law and imposing order. --Jeff Silverman

http://www.amazon.com/Pros-Cons-Criminals-Who-Play/dp/0446524034/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360795143&sr=1-2&keywords=pros+and+cons

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 06:04 PM

12. Whereas had they beat up their girlfriends or raped someone in a dorm,

this would have been swept under the rug.

Reply to this post

Response to geek tragedy (Reply #12)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 06:27 PM

15. Or actively defended by the fans. (nt)

Reply to this post

Response to Posteritatis (Reply #15)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:18 PM

17. "They asked for it."

Now, where have I heard that line before?

(No, this is not meant to be taken as an actual comment by a fan. Yes, it is intended to be satirical in an amateur sort of way. But the point it makes is so often true about too many of the fans.)

Reply to this post

Response to geek tragedy (Reply #12)

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 12:44 PM

26. Of course!

Even if that school is a "religious" University.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:23 PM

18. Urban Meyer will take them.

That or they'll end up at Northern Alabama. Either way I wouldn't feel safe with them on my campus.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 12:53 AM

22. I wonder if the two students who were beaten to the point of

unconsciousness have received any expressions of sympathy or support from any member of the football program at that university.

I'm a middle-aged father of two young women. If I were the father of one of those two students, I might be having a nervous breakdown now.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 12:43 PM

31. Beat two people UNCONSCIOUS, yet only charged with robbery and fraudulent use of a debit card.

No assault and battery? I hope the charges are upgraded.

mikey_the_rat

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread