HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Ten Afghans killed in NAT...

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 04:49 AM

Ten Afghans killed in NATO airstrike

Last edited Wed Feb 13, 2013, 12:49 PM - Edit history (1)

Source: Reuters

(Reuters) - A NATO airstrike killed 10 Afghan civilians, including five children, in eastern Afghanistan on Wednesday, local officials said, a toll that if confirmed is likely to raise tension between President Hamid Karzai's government and U.S.-led NATO forces.

The strike, in the Shigal district of Kunar province, was confirmed by NATO's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), though a spokesman said it could not confirm civilian casualties.

"Foreign forces carried out the attack by themselves without informing us," Kunar Governor Fazlullah Wahidi told Reuters.

Read more: http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/02/13/uk-afghanistan-attack-civilians-idUKBRE91C0E220130213

edited to reflect change in Reuters own headline.

13 replies, 2067 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ten Afghans killed in NATO airstrike (Original post)
dipsydoodle Feb 2013 OP
Vattel Feb 2013 #1
hardtravelin Feb 2013 #12
Vattel Feb 2013 #13
think Feb 2013 #2
Ghost Dog Feb 2013 #3
malthaussen Feb 2013 #4
dipsydoodle Feb 2013 #5
Ash_F Feb 2013 #6
malthaussen Feb 2013 #7
dipsydoodle Feb 2013 #8
OKNancy Feb 2013 #10
ForgoTheConsequence Feb 2013 #9
rachel1 Feb 2013 #11

Response to dipsydoodle (Original post)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:02 AM

1. Thank God we are leaving Afghanistan.

Violence there will continue after we are gone, but that would be true if we left in 2019 instead of 2014.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Vattel (Reply #1)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:16 PM

12. Who said we're leaving?

Most of the troops there are involved with training their army, not combat operations. The 34,000 (about half of those there) will come from that group as we do a handover to the afghans in most of the training responsibilities (a joke, really-the ANA will be quickly rolled up by the Taliban).

We will continue to fund (at least 10 years) and have special operations combat forces operating and holding the ANA's hand because they're really not any good.

Get ready for many years of American bombs and missles being used in Afghanistan.

Reply to this post

Response to hardtravelin (Reply #12)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 08:40 PM

13. I am not sure how big a presence we will have after 2014.

I hope it is small.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:54 AM

2. Why?.......

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 09:26 AM

3. Related: British Courts to Decide U.S. Drones Do Murder?

By Nat Hentoff
This article appeared in Cato.org on February 6, 2013. - http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/british-courts-decide-us-drones-do-murder

With the Obama administration insistently refusing to release its legal, constitutional authorizations for drone assassinations in Pakistan and other countries, a lawsuit in Britain is causing mounting anxiety among intelligence agents there and in other countries who have aided the CIA.

Noor Khan, a British citizen, filed the lawsuit. He is the son of a Pakistani tribal elder, Malik Daud Khan, who was killed in a CIA drone attack there in 2011. The charge is that by passing intelligence to U.S. officials, which is then used in drone attacks, these allies of ours become “secondary partners to murder.”...

... “More than 40 civilians (including Malik Daud Khan) had been killed when the Americans (guiding the drones from afar) mistook a tribal council gathering for a meeting of militants” (“Drone Strike Prompts Suit, Raising Fears for U.S. Allies,” Ravi Somaiya, The New York Times, Jan. 31). - http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/31/world/drone-strike-lawsuit-raises-concerns-on-intelligence-sharing.html?_r=0

According to the CIA and President Obama’s “kill list,” so-called militants can often be deemed terrorists and blasted apart as such.

So now, as reported by the Times: “In light of Mr. Khan’s lawsuit and the potential for others, operatives across the British intelligence agencies are concerned that if they share information (with the CIA), they could be ‘punished by the judiciary for something the executive ordered them to do,’ said the person with knowledge of internal discussions.”...

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 09:53 AM

4. What's with the quotation marks around "civilians?"

They do not appear in the original story. Are you using quotation marks in lieu of italics for emphasis, or implying that they were not civilians at all?

-- Mal

Reply to this post

Response to malthaussen (Reply #4)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:04 AM

5. I didn't do that

Reuters changed their own headline.

Another link here attributed to Reuters confirms that to be the case : http://dawn.com/2013/02/13/ten-afghan-civilians-killed-in-nato-airstrike/

Reply to this post

Response to dipsydoodle (Reply #5)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:07 AM

6. Reuters has some dedicated and professional reporters

...and some right wing chickenhawk editors/execs too, unfortunately.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:31 AM

7. Now, that's weird.

Quotation marks for the Arab edition, no quotes for the Euro/US edition? I wonder what message they're trying to give, yessss, I wonders....

-- Mal

Reply to this post

Response to malthaussen (Reply #7)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:44 AM

8. No its just that

the other link I posted has the original header which in the absense of them making further changes to the narrative on that site remains unchanged. They probably have yet to notice the change which you and noticed only because of your query.

From experience its actuall the BBC who are the worst at headline changing.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 12:38 PM

10. I can verify that the original had civilians in quotes

I thought it was odd so I checked it out.
They have changed it now to: Ten Afghans killed in NATO air strike-officials

You could edit your OP if you want.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:50 AM

9. Its ok.

They're brown and on the other side of the world than I am. I can't be bothered to care when I could be bickering about Marco Rubio's water drinking habits or Michelle Obama's bangs and doesn't a new episode of Survivor air this week? BRB off to McDonalds to stuff my face.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 06:13 PM

11. Killing Afghan civilians is acceptable BUT killing US civilians is outrageous and inhumane

but I suppose that's justifiable, right?!!!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread