HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Richard Blumenthal, Conne...

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 02:59 PM

Richard Blumenthal, Connecticut Senator, Demands NRA 'Reject' Lobbyist 'Connecticut Effect' Remark

Last edited Tue Feb 12, 2013, 03:39 PM - Edit history (1)

Source: Huffington Post

"I want to express my regret at a statement that was made within the last 24 to 48 hours by a lobbyist for the National Rifle Association, who said that his group was hoping the so-called 'Connecticut effect' would pass so that his group could be more effective in its lobbying," Blumenthal said. "Your presence today, the families being here today and tonight at the State of the Union, I think is a statement and a picture worth 1,000 words that the quote, 'Connecticut effect' unquote, will last, and that it will be a call to action."

Blumenthal made it clear that while the lobbyist in question only represented a state chapter of the NRA, he considered the whole group responsible. "The NRA lobbyist's comment is callous and offensive, and I call on the NRA, Wayne Lapierre, to repudiate and reject it. I think it is an insult to all of us in America, but most especially to the 26 families in Newtown who directly suffered this loss."

A spokesman for the NRA declined to immediately respond to Blumenthal's strongly-worded request, but the senator's statement helped set the stage for what is likely to be a tense 24 hours for the NRA and for gun control advocates. President Barack Obama is expected to address gun control Tuesday night during his State of the Union address, and numerous Democratic lawmakers have invited victims of gun violence to be their guests at the event.

First lady Michelle Obama will have four guests at the event whose lives have been affected by gun violence: Cleopatra Cowley-Pendleton and Nathaniel A. Pendleton Sr., who lost their daughter Hadiya Pendleton to gun violence last month; Police Lieutenant Brian Murphy, who was the first officer to arrive at the scene of a shooting in a Sikh temple in Oak Creek, Wis. in August 2012; and Kaitlin Roig, a first-grade teacher at Sandy Hook Elementary School, who survived the December attack.

<end>

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/12/richard-blumenthal-nra-connecticut_n_2670544.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

i really hope Nuge the Stooge mouths off and gets removed from the SOTU on live TV.

that is all.

edit #1:
the senator's statement helped set the stage for what is likely to be a tense 24 hours for the NRA and for gun control advocates.

them-

me-

6 replies, 1521 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Richard Blumenthal, Connecticut Senator, Demands NRA 'Reject' Lobbyist 'Connecticut Effect' Remark (Original post)
farminator3000 Feb 2013 OP
TheCowsCameHome Feb 2013 #1
CTyankee Feb 2013 #2
TheCowsCameHome Feb 2013 #4
CTyankee Feb 2013 #5
farminator3000 Feb 2013 #3
DollarBillHines Feb 2013 #6

Response to farminator3000 (Original post)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 03:22 PM

1. Wayne LaPierre and cowardly cronies will go into hiding.

Kudos to Sen. Blumenthal for calling that scumbag organization out.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TheCowsCameHome (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 03:28 PM

2. He was our A.G. for many years and he really nailed the corps, the polluters and the

anti-choicers bent on denying CT women their right to choose. He's mild spoken but when he goes after someone, he's tough as nails...

Reply to this post

Response to CTyankee (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 03:40 PM

4. Indeed, he is a tough cookie inside.

As a former CT resident I've always admired him, and yes, when he digs in, look out below.

I wish there were more like him.

Reply to this post

Response to TheCowsCameHome (Reply #4)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 03:50 PM

5. He and his wife, Cindy, were huge supporters of Planned Parenthood.

They helped out with the fancy fundraising parties PPC used to have at various homes in Greenwich.

Reply to this post

Response to TheCowsCameHome (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 03:36 PM

3. thankfully, for the internet, their BS remains for us to...contemplate!

in text and video!

i loved it @ the Leahy hearing-

(paraphrase)-"ok, whatever, WAYNE, that wasn't the question i asked you. next!"

Reply to this post

Response to farminator3000 (Original post)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 04:06 PM

6. Ed Schultz (?) played that recording on his show last night

I have trouble recalling Ed's last name.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread