HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Boehner accuses Obama of ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 01:28 PM

Boehner accuses Obama of not having 'the guts' to cut spending

Source: msnbc.com

House Speaker John Boehner Tuesday repeatedly challenged the president's willingness to go against his own party on issues that include reforms to social programs and spending.

Republicans also feel as if they have already given in and do not want to give more, particularly after passing the tax increase and punting on the debt ceiling, voting to suspend it temporarily until the Democratic-controlled Senate passes a budget, something it has not done in years.

Read more: http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/12/16937861-boehner-accuses-obama-of-not-having-the-guts-to-cut-spending?lite

1. What the hell cuts is he requesting? Has government spending not bee slashed and burned already?

2. The tax increase the Republicans consented to was minuscule and trivial and not the robust one that is needed.

3. I'd like to reword the first paragraph like this for another article: "Democrats repeatedly challenged Speaker Boehner's willingness to go against his own party on issues that include raising taxes on the wealthy, commitment to social programs and reigning in defense spending."

I refer you to Rachel Maddow's honey badger comparison to Republicans from a few shows back.

16 replies, 2364 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 16 replies Author Time Post
Reply Boehner accuses Obama of not having 'the guts' to cut spending (Original post)
SpankMe Feb 2013 OP
randome Feb 2013 #1
mac56 Feb 2013 #2
madamesilverspurs Feb 2013 #3
msongs Feb 2013 #4
Bigredhunk Feb 2013 #5
rocktivity Feb 2013 #6
sikofit3 Feb 2013 #7
aggiesal Feb 2013 #8
DallasNE Feb 2013 #9
ReRe Feb 2013 #10
pampango Feb 2013 #11
John2 Feb 2013 #12
Dont_Bogart_the_Pretzel Feb 2013 #13
Brigid Feb 2013 #14
h2ebits Feb 2013 #15
John2 Feb 2013 #16

Response to SpankMe (Original post)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 01:30 PM

1. Boener does not understand the basic functions of our government.

It's Congress that controls the purse strings. Not the Executive Branch. What a loon.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 01:31 PM

2. Classic Repo projection.

"House Speaker John Boehner Tuesday repeatedly challenged the president's willingness to go against his own party..."

Identify your party's own delinquincies, and accuse the other party of possessing them instead.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 01:52 PM

3. Translation:

"President Obama refuses to obey republicans. Waaaaahhhhhhhh!!!"

-

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 02:04 PM

4. repubs control the agenda with cuts/austerity and dems trot right along like lap dogs lol nt

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 02:20 PM

5. Fuck off, douchebag

It's funny how important cutting spending becomes when a Democrat is in office.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 02:27 PM

6. Obama should say "Thank you!"

I certainly consider that to be a compliment.

rocktivity

Reply to this post

Response to rocktivity (Reply #6)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 02:31 PM

7. Exactly

They are just playing their typical games. If Obama doesn't bite then he isn't doing anything, if he does bite then they can use him as the one Americans will point their finger too when all of the shit hits the fan on what they want to cut... fortunately, Obama is too smart to play these games... they are so predictable

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 03:45 PM

8. It would be funny if it were not true . . .

Of course Boner doesn't remember the $1.5 trillion already cut
from the budget.

But what Boner is really saying is that Obama doesn't have the
guts to cut Social Security, Medi-Care, MedicAid, Pell Grants,
Unemployment Benefits, Food Stamps or any other social program
that's been popular.

To that I say; Go ahead Boner, try cutting any of these programs. I dare you.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 04:17 PM

9. Who Walked Away From The Grand Bargin In 2011

After first agreeing to it? That contained $3 in spending cuts for $1 in revenue. Obama walked the plank and Boehner chickened out.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 04:55 PM

10. Wait...

...Boehner gets up in front of cameras and cries like a baby and he says PO has no guts? He needs to go look in the mirror if he wants to see a REAL fellow with no guts.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 05:20 PM

11. Repeat a lie often enough and low-information voters believe it. n/t

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 05:27 PM

12. But lets see this

from a different point of view. President Obama does not have the Public behind him to cut Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid. It has nothing to do with the Democratic Party. If he does meet the Republicans' demands, the Public would consider President Obama a sell out. They are just disrespecting the Electorate which put him in office. Why does Boner think the President won the recent Election? It was not to cut Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid.

He won because he promised to protect those programs and raise taxes on the wealthy. That included closing those loop holes for the wealthy and making them pay their fair share of taxes. Romney and Ryan loss the Election. The Pundits need to understand that also and quit using the Republicans' talking points. If they do not respect us, then he does need to keep going out to the public, in order to keep us informed. I'm ready for 2014. We have a clear target on Republican Governors in several states. He needs to take that organization of his and campaign for Democrats in 2014. I'm part of that mailing list. He can also work on the judicial system by nominating more judges. As long as the Republican Party keeps obstructing, we can make them pay in a couple of years. I think our coalition is more powerful than the tea Party.

If I was the Democratic Party, I would take the issue of Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid and tie it around the Republicans necks with especially seniors. And people that receive Medicare and Medicaid, I would use those issues the same way in 2014. The Republicans are out in the open now for wanting to cut those programs. During the recent Election, they tried to accuse President Obama of cutting Medicare. Now we know the truth and the media is in on it too. Just look at the recent Polls. There is no Poll that I know supports cutting these programs.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 06:57 PM

13. Obama would save a lot if he would just fire Boehner.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 07:03 PM

14. Fuck you, Boney.

That is all.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 12:42 AM

15. He's definitely a "real" man.

Surprised Boehner didn't roll up his sleeve and show us his muscle!

Spoken like a true little boy on the playground showing how studdly he is. Anybody ready to swoon?

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 06:59 AM

16. And everytime,

I see Boner, he either looks mean or sad. Does he ever lighten up and enjoy life? You can tell a lot just looking at a person. He doesn't look like he enjoys life at all. I suggest he resign and spend more time with his family.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread