HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Texas man convicted in '8...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 05:53 PM

Texas man convicted in '81 stabbing death freed

Source: Associated Press

CORSICANA, Texas (AP) A 58-year-old Texas man walked free Monday after serving years for a crime he didn't commit the repeated stabbing of a woman whose body was found on a dirt road in rural North Texas.

Randolph Arledge was sentenced to 99 years in prison in 1984 for killing Carolyn Armstrong. But a state district judge in Corsicana, about 50 miles southeast of Dallas, agreed with prosecutors and Arledge's attorneys that he could no longer be considered guilty after new DNA tests tied someone else to the crime.

Like many wrongfully convicted inmates, Arledge was sent to prison with the help of faulty eyewitness testimony. Two co-conspirators in an armed robbery testified at his trial that he had admitted to stabbing someone in Corsicana and that he had blood on his clothes and knife, according to the filing by Arledge's attorneys.

One of those witnesses has since admitted to lying about Arledge due to a personal dispute, the filing said.

Read more: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/texas-man-convicted-81-stabbing-death-freed

18 replies, 2709 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 18 replies Author Time Post
Reply Texas man convicted in '81 stabbing death freed (Original post)
jsr Feb 2013 OP
kestrel91316 Feb 2013 #1
tblue Feb 2013 #2
Warren Stupidity Feb 2013 #10
Poll_Blind Feb 2013 #11
BlueStreak Feb 2013 #3
McCamy Taylor Feb 2013 #8
kestrel91316 Feb 2013 #9
derby378 Feb 2013 #4
Occulus Feb 2013 #7
marble falls Feb 2013 #12
Occulus Feb 2013 #13
marble falls Feb 2013 #14
Occulus Feb 2013 #15
harmonicon Feb 2013 #16
uppityperson Feb 2013 #5
cosmicone Feb 2013 #6
hotrod1967 Feb 2013 #17
alphafemale Feb 2013 #18

Response to jsr (Original post)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 05:56 PM

1. The "witness" who lied about him and got him convicted needs to take his place in prison.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to kestrel91316 (Reply #1)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 06:07 PM

2. Oh so true. Was probably coerced though.

The cops and DA who pushed the lie, if they did, need to go to the pokey too.

Reply to this post

Response to tblue (Reply #2)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:27 PM

10. But they never do. There is pretty much no downside to prosecutorial malfeasance.

Reply to this post

Response to Warren Stupidity (Reply #10)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:53 PM

11. After all I've seen and heard over the years, I'd have to agree. nt

PB

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 06:11 PM

3. Sounds like perjury to me. Want to place any bets

whether they prosecute him?

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 08:47 PM

8. The DA who persuaded him to lie ought to take his place in prison.

Since one of the tactics they use is "Either you implicate your friend or we send you to jail for the crime."

Reply to this post

Response to McCamy Taylor (Reply #8)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 09:34 PM

9. Indeed.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 06:21 PM

4. And how is the state going to offer recompense for 30 years of his life that were stolen from him?

The article says it's "unclear," but will it ever be enough? The man's life is almost over.

God bless Barry Scheck, however, for getting Arledge out so he can walk the earth as a free man once again.

Reply to this post

Response to derby378 (Reply #4)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 08:44 PM

7. In cases like this one, it ought to be one million tax-free dollars per year, at a minimum.

It's nowhere near that, though.

All reasons and explanations why it is not strike me as profoundly inadequate.

People, we have right here very good reason to abolish the death penalty by Constitutional Amendment.

Not because it is immoral. Not because it is barbaric. Not because it is evil.

Because we can be wrong.

Reply to this post

Response to Occulus (Reply #7)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 09:06 AM

12. Why a million? Who gets punished by that? $80,000 a year plus an annuity is fair enough....

and by the way, until '98 he was serving in a Tennessee term for armed robbery. Fourteen years is bad enough, though and he deserves 80G +/year and that is good enough especially if they can get someone on prosecutorial misbehavior. You can bet those two witnesses were suborned into perjury.

Reply to this post

Response to marble falls (Reply #12)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:29 AM

13. That's why my million figure

1) it's a nice, round figure many multiples of a "decent" income for the same period
2) prosecutorial misconduct almost certainly played a part in his conviction and should add punitive damages
3) it's a figure large enough to cause real budgetary concern while at the same time going much, much further toward making him whole (which is not possible anyway)

The state stole from him the one irreplacable thing we all have: time. For no reason, not even a bad one.

Frankly, a million a year for that is dirt cheap. Eighty grand is a slap in the face to someone in his position.

Reply to this post

Response to Occulus (Reply #13)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 01:38 PM

14. That million comes from taxpayers pockets and has no realistic correlation to what he lost.....

he could have been hit by a bus or overdosed or tried to rob someone else who also came packing years ago.

Reply to this post

Response to marble falls (Reply #14)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 01:50 PM

15. You're partly right.

A million per year for being wrongly incarcerated for so long a time doesn't even begin to be "just compensation".

Reply to this post

Response to marble falls (Reply #12)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 01:56 PM

16. Who are you to say what is fair enough?

I'm happy to say I've never been to prison. Have you? I imagine it must be horrible. Now, imagine that you were locked in prison for 14 years while you were not guilty of the crime for which you were incarcerated. There is no way you can imagine that.

We could look at it another way. Pretend that you were kidnapped and held as a slave for 14 years, but thought you would be held as a slave until the day you died. Miraculously, one day you are freed. Would 80 grand a year make you feel that being kidnapped and held as a slave was "fair"? I doubt it. There is no amount of money that can ever be fair.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 07:21 PM

5. Glad to see one got out of TX jail upright. nt

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 07:33 PM

6. Thank heavens he was not executed .... n/t

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 03:11 PM

17. also family

He is my uncle this happened in corsicana. Texas there is about 20000 people there very small, I was15 when this happened I had teachers that would not speak to the police accused me of crimes saying I know randy is your uncle, I lost Friends, we will never and would never accepted. Any compensation, for what the district attorneys. Office lied about, this changed my view of the court system forever, we had to move a few years later,

Reply to this post

Response to hotrod1967 (Reply #17)

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 05:34 PM

18. I'm sorry for your family and all the years stolen.

Welcome to DU.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread