HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » McCain says ‘maybe’ to ne...

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 07:27 PM

McCain says ‘maybe’ to new taxes to avert sequestration

Source: Washington Post

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said Sunday that he is willing to consider supporting new tax revenue as part of a plan to avert $85 billion in looming budget cuts, as the White House pushed back against Republican lawmakers who say President Obama is solely responsible for the spending reductions.

McCain made the comments as he once again warned about the adverse effects of the spending reductions, known as sequestration, that will require federal agencies to slash $85 billion in spending by Sept. 30 — including $43 billion at the Pentagon.

“Republicans and Democrats are responsible for this new cliff and I’ll take responsibility for it for the Republicans,” McCain said of the spending cuts. “But we’ve got to avoid it. We’ve got to stop it.”

Averting the cuts “requires bipartisanship,” McCain added. “Will I look at revenue closers? Maybe so. But we’ve already just raised taxes. Why do we have to raise taxes again?”

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/mccain-says-maybe-to-taxes-to-avert-sequester/2013/02/10/c7007b28-73ba-11e2-95e4-6148e45d7adb_story.html

12 replies, 1930 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 07:29 PM

1. mccain and repubs love keeping dems trapped in the deficit instead of jobs mode nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 07:32 PM

2. Johnie, you did not raise taxes, you followed bush junior plans for the taxes to revert

back to where they were

Reply to this post

Response to Angry Dragon (Reply #2)

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 07:36 PM

3. McPain ReTIRE!

We are sick of listening to you!

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 08:33 PM

4. What happened to "WE NEED TO CUT GOVERNMENT SPENDING"

Oh thats right we were just to cut Social Security, Medicare & Medicaid not Defense spending. I say let the sequestration stay in place and watch the Republicans squirm as they get heat from their donors for actually cutting spending on bloated Defense contracts.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 08:36 PM

5. I love how Republicans act like taxes were just raised.

If you're my neighbor and you borrow my lawnmower for an excessively long time, I'm not being a dick and taking YOUR lawnmower when I ask for it back. It was TEMPORARY. So stop acting like taxes were just raised out of nowhere. They weren't. Washington just finally decided well after a decade later that Temporary is, oh wait TEMPORARY. Meaning NOT PERMANENT. Jackasses.

Reply to this post

Response to MessiahRp (Reply #5)

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 08:42 PM

6. To your point actually most income taxes were just lower except for the very very rich

in which case they went up ever so slightly.

Reply to this post

Response to awake (Reply #6)

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 08:52 PM

7. So in that case I borrowed you my lawnmower and gave you an extra set of hedgeclippers!

What an ass I am for wanting that lawnmower back!

Reply to this post

Response to MessiahRp (Reply #7)

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 09:00 PM

8. Ya those "TEMPORARY" taxes were made "PERMANENT" for most Americans

It was just the top 1% or so that got a "PERMANENT" tax raise or so they want us to believe.

Reply to this post

Response to MessiahRp (Reply #5)

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 09:53 PM

9. Even worse: The large corporations' tax-evading loopholes that allow them not only...

to pay ZERO taxes on GADZILLIONS in profits, but also PAYS them ZILLIONS in subsidies for golfing trips, cuban cigars AND political bribes through LOBBYIST firms...

In short, they purchase congresscritters using taxpayers subsidies and keep the change for luxuries!

Reply to this post

Response to Amonester (Reply #9)

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 10:21 PM

10. I could not have said it better

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 10:29 PM

11. Republicans want to cut social security and blame it on Obama

I hope Obama has finally figured out these idiots he is working "with" in the GOP.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 10:52 PM

12. Gramps hasn't figured it out yet

but I envision a scenario where permanent tax increases are proposed (and passed) to forestall sequestration indefinitely. However, I don't expect most Repukes to remain as clueless as McCain, and they will eventually figure out how to actually have a sequester take place at whatever spot the can is finally kicked down the road.

That might even happen at the end of this month, and McLame just doesn't know it yet.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread