HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Support Grows for U.S. &q...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 08:02 PM

Support Grows for U.S. "Drone Court" to Review Lethal Strikes

Source: Reuters

Support grows for U.S. "drone court" to review lethal strikes

By Mark Hosenball

WASHINGTON | Fri Feb 8, 2013 7:27pm EST
(Reuters) - During a fresh round of debate this week over President Barack Obama's claim that he can unilaterally order lethal strikes by unmanned aircraft against U.S. citizens, some lawmakers proposed a middle ground: a special federal "drone court" that would approve suspected militants for targeting.

While the idea of a judicial review of such operations may be gaining political currency, multiple U.S. officials said on Friday that imminent action by the U.S. Congress or the White House to create one is unlikely. The idea is being actively considered, however, according to a White House official.

At Thursday's confirmation hearing for CIA director nominee John Brennan, senators discussed establishing a secret court or tribunal to rule on the validity of cases that U.S. intelligence agencies draw up for killing suspected militants using drones.

The court could be modeled on an existing court which examines applications for electronic eavesdropping on suspected spies or terrorists.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/09/us-usa-drones-idUSBRE91800B20130209

15 replies, 2126 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Hissyspit (Original post)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 08:10 PM

2. It would also make a great TV series. n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 08:29 PM

3. I have grown fatigued of our "secret courts."

"The court could be modeled on an existing court which examines applications for electronic eavesdropping on suspected spies or terrorists" by arse. The government already routinely spies on all of our email and telephone calls without bothering with that particular "secret court."

Reply to this post

Response to PSPS (Reply #3)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 07:35 AM

12. That's right. A "kill court" based on the FISA court and the NSA would simply target everyone.

Blanket surveillance and blanket lethal measures. No, thanks.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 08:34 PM

4. So there will be drones in robes?

Did I read that wrong?

Reply to this post

Response to underpants (Reply #4)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 06:12 AM

10. Rubber stamps with robes. *

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 09:48 PM

5. What I would like to know is where are OUR....

K&R

.... human rights lawyers? Or professionals in International Law? Have they been silenced? And when did PO publicly claim that he can "unilaterally order lethal strikes by unmanned aircraft against U.S. Citizens?" I missed that press conference or stand alone announcement.
I need to go googling. Thanks for posting this article, hissyspit.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:50 PM

6. Except that I don't think that the FISA laws are being respected or implemented at this time.

I may be wrong.

There is a problem, and it is fundamental.

The FISA court is merely approving requests from the government to wiretap -- to obtain information.

The drone court would be deciding whether to sentence people to death -- whether to deprive them of life and liberty -- and without due process, that is without notice or the opportunity to be heard.

It is good to review the president's requests to use drones, but they still should not be used within the US or against US citizens unless the citizens are clearly involved in an insurrection.

This still eats away, maybe even destroys, the freedom we obtained when we finally got the king to sign the Magna Carta.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 12:35 AM

7. How about we go back to trial by jury, etc., before executing people?

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 12:43 AM

8. There needs to be another layer of oversight added.

I support Obama, but am very uncomfortable with this sort of power in the hands of a very few people, in a closed process.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 01:13 AM

9. How about putting Bush et al on trial, closing Gitmo, pulling back the drones and ending the

illegal assassination program altogether?

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 07:31 AM

11. This is reminiscent of the secret anti-terrorism courts of dictatorships worldwide. No thank you.

Obama needs to simply rescind the Executive Order that authorized adding US Citizens to the "kill lists." Problem solved.

We dealt with this issue before without drones and kill lists. Just go back to the preexisting rules.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 01:40 PM

13. my worry is how easily these things become a rubber stamp...

.. and then even that rubber stamp gets seen as too burdensome and is side stepped.

That's what happened with FISA.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 05:02 PM

14. Kind of sounds like a Star Chamber

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 08:31 AM

15. Drop the bomb, then the court will have five days to decide if it should be removed

Isn't that how FISA works?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread