HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Michigan GOP Quashes Tran...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 03:30 AM

Michigan GOP Quashes Transvaginal Ultrasound Bill

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by OKNancy (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Salon

Michigan’s Republican House Speaker shut down a bill that would have forced women seeking an abortion to first undergo a transvaginal ultrasound, saying he has “absolutely no interest” in mandating the procedure.

“While I want to be sure women have access to the best technology available, I have absolutely no interest in forcing a woman to have a transvaginal ultrasound,” House Speaker Jase Bolger (R) said in a statement Thursday. “This House of Representatives will not pass a bill mandating transvaginal ultrasounds.”

A spokesman for Gov. Rick Snyder, R-Mich., said that the governor also opposes the legislation. “Gov. Snyder is not at all supportive of this legislation and has zero interest in seeing it come to his desk,” Sara Wurfel told TPM.

Republican legislators in the state had proposed legislation that would have required the “performance of a diagnostic ultrasound examination of the fetus at least two hours before an abortion is performed.” The language of the bill mandated that the ultrasound “ the viability of the fetus and the approximate gestational age of the fetus” with equipment that would provide “the most visibly clear image of the gross anatomical development of the fetus and the most audible fetal heartbeat.”

Read more: http://www.salon.com/2013/02/07/michigan_gop_quashes_transvaginal_ultrasound_bill/

My first thought was, this is a very good development.

My second thought was, what's the catch? Is this a glimmer of sanity, or just words to temporarily quiet the opposition?

4 replies, 713 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Michigan GOP Quashes Transvaginal Ultrasound Bill (Original post)
NightOwwl Feb 2013 OP
tblue Feb 2013 #1
NightOwwl Feb 2013 #2
dtom67 Feb 2013 #3
OKNancy Feb 2013 #4

Response to NightOwwl (Original post)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 03:44 AM

1. Just had one of those.

Was a cancer screening. Let me tell you, it's no party. You have to drink 32 oz of water one hour prior to the exam. Then they squirt some cold jelly on your tummy and rub a wand all over your belly for about 10 - 15 minutes. Then they let you go pee. Then it's up in the stirrups you go and they stick the wand up your hoohah and move the long cold gizmo around inside you and take pictures for another 10 minutes. If you enjoy being in stirrups and/or needing to pee for 80 minutes, then maybe it's not a big deal. But for the rest of us, it's very invasive and if it's not a necessary procedure, it's really such a waste of time and money and an invasion of your private parts. (Test came back negative though. Yay!)

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to tblue (Reply #1)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 03:48 AM

2. The procedure sounds painful and looks painful.

But I'm so glad your tests came back negative

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 03:53 AM

3. it's 2014...

The chances that any repubs will survive here in Michigan while taking on Labor and the womens' rights movement is slim. I think they realize that this silly idea of theirs lost the gop many races in 2012. Its too late, though. Now that the threat has been made, it will be featured in the next election to get these chowderheads out of office.
hope it works ...

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 04:08 AM

4. duplicate topic - locking