HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Drone Debate Over Casualt...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 09:10 PM

Drone Debate Over Casualties Overlooks Cost to Those Who Survive

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by uppityperson (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: PRI's The World

John Brennan, the chief architect of the US drone program, faces a Senate confirmation hearing Thursday for his nomination as the CIA’s new director. The Congressional hearing will be one of the few times Americans will hear a high level official publicly acknowledge and address the military and CIA’s joint drone program. It operates in countries like Pakistan, Somalia and Yemen where the US is not at officially at war, but has conducted hundreds of attacks using drones in covert operations.

Down a dimly lit corridor, in the only burn-unit hospital in Yemen lie the severely burned bodies of Sultan Ahmed Mohammed and Nacer Mabkhout al-Sabooly. They’re conscious, but barely able to speak out loud. Sultan, tells me his name and mutters just one sentence before closing his eyes.

“The plane struck me,” he said.

I met the two last September. They were victims of an attack that officially never happened. At the hospital, Abdelrahman Barman, an attorney who runs the Yemeni human-rights organization Hood, that advocates for the rights of drone victims, explained to me how this mini-bus driver and his cousin from a rural town in Central Yemen ended up barely conscious in a hospital in Sanaa....

Read more: http://www.theworld.org/2013/02/drone-debate-over-casualties-overlooks-cost-to-those-who-survive/

I heard this on the radio on the way home tonight. I wonder if the U.S. behind drone strikes everywhere.

4 replies, 1292 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Drone Debate Over Casualties Overlooks Cost to Those Who Survive (Original post)
mia Feb 2013 OP
Purveyor Feb 2013 #1
ashling Feb 2013 #2
WillyT Feb 2013 #3
uppityperson Feb 2013 #4

Response to mia (Original post)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 11:28 PM

1. Oh 'tut-tut'...it is our admin drones doing the deed so fear not. It is all good...right? eom

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 11:36 PM

2. Whatever happened to personal responsibility?!

When someone is targeted by a drone it is their responsibility to stay at least 200 feet behind the dump truck in front of them. The U.S. Government will not be responsible for broken windshields or the occasional maimed child.

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 12:14 AM

3. K & R !!!

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 01:06 AM

4. Locking, does not meet LBN SOP. Thank you.

Please repost in Good Reads as it is an important issue.