HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Boy Scouts Delay Decision...

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 12:17 PM

Boy Scouts Delay Decision On No-Gay Policy

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Autumn (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: TPM

PEMA LEVY 10:38 AM EST, WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 6, 2013

The Boy Scouts of America will delay a decision on whether to admit gay scouts and scout leaders, the Associated Press reports. The group's board was expected to make a decision Wednesday, but the group's leaders say they need more time for deliberation and won't vote on the policy change until their annual meeting in May.

The policy change under consideration would lift the national ban and allow local troops to decide whether to admit gay members.

A solid majority of Americans support repealing the no-gay policy. According to a Quinnipiac University poll Wednesday, 55 percent of voters want the Boy Scouts to repeal the ban while only 33 percent want it to remain in place.

President Obama had expressed support for the change. I think that my attitude is that gays and lesbians should have access and opportunity the same way everybody else does in every institution and walk of life," he said in a CBS News' interview Sunday.

Read more: http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/boy-scouts-delay-decision-on-no-gay-policy

Here's the FULL Associated Press (AP) article:

BOY SCOUTS DELAY DECISION ON ADMISSION OF GAY SCOUTS, LEADERS SAYING MORE DELIBERATION NEEDED
Feb. 6 10:30 AM EST

DALLAS (AP) Boy Scouts delay decision on admission of gay scouts, leaders saying more deliberation needed.

-30-

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/boy-scouts-delay-decision-admission-gay-scouts-leaders-saying-more-deliberation-needed

4 replies, 776 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Boy Scouts Delay Decision On No-Gay Policy (Original post)
DonViejo Feb 2013 OP
Zephie Feb 2013 #1
RedstDem Feb 2013 #2
libdem4life Feb 2013 #3
Autumn Feb 2013 #4

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 12:21 PM

1. The director of public relations says....

"After careful consideration and extensive dialogue within the Scouting family, along with comments from those outside the organization, the volunteer officers of the Boy Scouts of America's National Executive Board concluded that due to the complexity of this issue, the organization needs time for a more deliberate review of its membership policy"

Which translates to: "Oh shit, they didn't vote the way we wanted them to. BACKPEDAL BACKPEDAL!"

Nope. My son is not going to be a scout, no way no how.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 12:35 PM

2. the boy scouts also dont want atheist

I don't like that organization, and frankly never have.
even though i didn't object (much) when the spouse put my son's in cub scouts..
luckily they had enough of the jackassery that goes on in there before they went into boy scouts.

discriminatory to it's core is what i saw in my time with the cub scouts..

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 02:05 PM

3. A continuing crop of good news...Obama used his bully pulpit and we have seen

much social shifting on the LGBT issue at an organizational level. The fact the Boy Scouts are even considering it, speaks to the fact that it will happen.

There are likely gay Boy Scouts and Leaders already, like the military.

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 02:41 PM

4. Locking as a duplicate please repost in this thread,