HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » British House of Commons ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 02:04 AM

British House of Commons Approves Gay Marriage

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by OKNancy (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: New York Times

LONDON — The House of Commons voted overwhelmingly on Tuesday to approve a bill legalizing same-sex marriage in Britain, indicating that the bill is assured of passage as it moves through further legislative stages.

But in a major setback for Prime Minister David Cameron, who championed the measure, it appeared that more than half of the lawmakers in his Conservative Party voted against it or abstained.

After a six-hour debate, the Commons vote was 400 to 175 for the bill. The legislation, which applies to England and Wales, would permit civil marriage between same-sex couples, but specifically exempt the Church of England and other faiths from an obligation to perform such ceremonies. Some faith groups, including the Quakers, have said they want the legal right to perform same-sex marriages.

The bill still has to pass in the House of Lords, where delaying tactics by opponents are possible, but Mr. Cameron has said he plans to have it enacted into law sometime this summer.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/06/world/europe/britain-gay-marriage-vote.html?pagewanted=all

3 replies, 1118 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply British House of Commons Approves Gay Marriage (Original post)
Tony_FLADEM Feb 2013 OP
lunatica Feb 2013 #1
pampango Feb 2013 #2
OKNancy Feb 2013 #3

Response to Tony_FLADEM (Original post)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 07:12 AM

1. Gay human rights suddenly spreading like flash fires is wonderful

I'm 64 years old and I've lived almost my entire life believing this would simply never happen in today's world. I love that I'm wrong and it does much to make me feel that anything is possible, even in the darkest of times.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 08:14 AM

2. "... more than half of the lawmakers in his Conservative Party voted against it or abstained."

Sounds like there is a lot of discontent in the ranks of Cameron's party. Good.

Also, not surprising - the position of the conservative UKIP that wants the UK out of the EU.

Nigel Farage, the outspoken leader of the United Kingdom Independence Party (UKIP), has gained much support from disaffected Tories by opposing “gay marriage” on libertarian grounds, saying that with Britain’s legal system beholden to the European legal aparatus, Westminster will have no power to protect religious believers from activist litigation. Farage commented this afternoon, before the vote, “The ECHR (European Court of Human Rights) will decide if churches are exempt, not Parliament.”

Farage, the leading Euroskeptic MEP, said that Cameron was only taking orders from his political superiors in Brussels. “Same-sex marriage” legislation, UKIP said today, is being driven by an upcoming EU proposal, which is set to become law later this year.

The Berlinguer Report has called for all marriages and civil contracts conducted in any EU country to become legally binding in all other member states. The proposal is due to be voted through the EU Parliament this November and is expected to pass.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/uk-parliament-overwhelmingly-passes-gay-marriage-bill/

Oh the dreaded liberal EU that threatens to impose 'gay marriage' on a defenseless UK. Where oh where has our sovereignty gone? What's a conservative to do in the face of the liberal behemoth in Brussels?

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 09:26 AM

3. duplicate topic - locking