HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Partisan cracks appear ea...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 04:10 PM

Partisan cracks appear early in House immigration debate

Source: Washington Post

Congress’ formal legislative debate on immigration opened Tuesday with a hearing in the House, where partisan cracks on the difficult issue emerged almost immediately.

Democrats on the panel focused on the need for a comprehensive overhaul that would expand legal avenues for immigration, improve enforcement of new laws and a path to eventual citizenship for the estimated 11 million people living in the country illegally.

But a number of Republicans who sit on the Judiciary Committee, a key gateway to any new immigration law, questioned whether there might be a middle ground between deportation of those here illegally — long the goal of many in their party — and extending citizenship.

The issue is quickly emerging as a flash point in the debate.

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/partisan-cracks-appear-early-in-house-immigration-debate/2013/02/05/17571e1c-6fae-11e2-ac36-3d8d9dcaa2e2_story.html

1 replies, 1055 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Partisan cracks appear early in House immigration debate (Original post)
alp227 Feb 2013 OP
longship Feb 2013 #1

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 04:32 PM

1. I am liking how this second term White House is playing their hand.

The Republicans are in a bit of trouble on some of the key issues. When they are divided, the Dems can win.

I suspect that the WH is behind some of the Dem's strategy.

I am cautiously optimistic for the first time in four years about what can happen in Congress.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread