HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » U.S. Rep. Jared Polis pus...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 03:20 PM

U.S. Rep. Jared Polis pushes bill to decriminalize pot at federal level, pass power to states

Source: http://polis.house.gov/news

U.S. Rep. Jared Polis, D-Boulder, is leading an effort to let states decide whether marijuana should be legal for medical or recreational use and decriminalizing the drug at the federal level -- saying that "tax dollars are being wasted on the failed drug war."

Polis and Congressman Earl Blumenauer, D-OR, introduced two pieces of legislation today involving marijuana regulation and taxation.

Polis' "Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act" would remove the Drug Enforcement Agency's authority over marijuana and allow each state to choose whether cannabis should be legal. Blumenauer's "Marijuana Tax Equity Act" would create a federal excise tax on marijuana.

Combined, the two bills would create a regulation and taxation system for marijuana in states where it's legal.

Read more: http://www.dailycamera.com/news/ci_22524257/u-s-rep-jared-polis-pushes-bill-decriminalize

7 replies, 1828 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply U.S. Rep. Jared Polis pushes bill to decriminalize pot at federal level, pass power to states (Original post)
guyton Feb 2013 OP
riderinthestorm Feb 2013 #1
mountain grammy Feb 2013 #2
calimary Feb 2013 #3
apocalypsehow Feb 2013 #4
Isoldeblue Feb 2013 #5
locks Feb 2013 #6
kag Feb 2013 #7

Response to guyton (Original post)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 05:02 PM

1. Bravo! Big K&R! nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 05:16 PM

2. That's my Congressman!!! Way to go, Jared!

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 05:44 PM

3. Approved!

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 05:47 PM

4. Kick & Rec. n/t.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 05:54 PM

5. I would love

to be able to legally buy the kind herb in my lifetime! I use medical cannabis for a few health issues that are helped so much more than by any chemical RX. I know - I've used them and still have lingering side affects, after 7 years of being off them.

Three cheers Rep. Polis!!

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 08:55 PM

6. Jared Polis

Polis is my Rep too and he's doing a good job with our new marijuana regs and most every Dem policy. With one exception: he hasn't backed any gun legislation including Obama's and DeGette's. I told him we were waiting for him to support gun control; he hasn't replied yet.

Reply to this post

Response to locks (Reply #6)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 05:54 AM

7. I noticed that, too.

Frankly, I didn't support Polis when he ran against Joan FitzGerald in 2008, and I still think he's too concerned about business interests over those of social programs. But I'll give him his due. He's done a few things right, and leading the pot legalization charge is one of them. I don't think it's a risky position for him given who he represents (lefties like myself), but at least he's making some noise about it.

I, too, wish he would make some noise about the gun issue. I think of all the Colorado reps he's one who probably wouldn't pay much of a political price for coming out strong for gun control.

Do you know if Udall and Bennett have said anything on gun control?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread