HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Md. ethics panel says del...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 09:47 AM

Md. ethics panel says delegate should not have tried to silence football player

Source: WaPo

By John Wagner, Published: February 4

A Maryland legislative ethics committee has found that a delegate who used his official stationary to try to silence a Baltimore Ravens player who supports same-sex marriage committed a “particularly egregious abuse of public resources.” But the Joint Committee on Legislative Ethics determined that because Del. Emmett C. Burns Jr. (D-Baltimore County) has already apologized for the episode, there is no need for disciplinary action.

Burns, a longtime opponent of gay nuptials, wrote last year to Steve Bisciotti, owner of the Ravens, asking him to “cease and desist” the advocacy of linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo, who spoke out for legislation and a subsequent ballot measure to allow same-sex marriage in Maryland.

In a letter to Burns dated Jan. 30, the committee said that under ethics rules, delegates should not use their General Assembly letterhead to advocate for or against ballot measures.

“Your use of official General Assembly letterhead to pressure the employer of a citizen of Maryland to suppress the citizen’s right of free speech was a particularly egregious abuse of public resources,” the committee told Burns in the letter, which was obtained by The Washington Post.

-snip-

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/md-ethics-panel-says-delegate-should-not-have-tried-to-silence-football-player/2013/02/04/e84662a6-6f38-11e2-aa58-243de81040ba_story.html?wpisrc=nl_headlines

9 replies, 1742 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Md. ethics panel says delegate should not have tried to silence football player (Original post)
DonViejo Feb 2013 OP
dbackjon Feb 2013 #1
LibertyLover Feb 2013 #2
mountain grammy Feb 2013 #4
Chef Eric Feb 2013 #6
LibertyLover Feb 2013 #8
malthaussen Feb 2013 #3
FourScore Feb 2013 #5
hack89 Feb 2013 #7
brooklynite Feb 2013 #9

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:00 AM

1. Burns is scum and should not be allowed to caucus as a Democrat

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:02 AM

2. I'm glad the MD legislative ethics committee reached this decision -

Last edited Tue Feb 5, 2013, 12:30 PM - Edit history (1)

I'm sorry that they decided since Burns had apologized, nothing further was needed. In my opinion Burns should have been censured for trying to overawe and silence Brendon Ayanbadejo with his position as a MD state delegate. Fortunately Steve Bisciotti didn't bite.

A Ravens fan still on a high from the win on Sunday.

Reply to this post

Response to LibertyLover (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:39 AM

4. "a particularly egregious abuse of public resources" indeed.

He should have been censored, but at least he was rebuked. Seems anyone can do anything and then say "I'm sorry" and go on about their rat killing. I'm sick of these jerks, vote 'em out!!!
Congratulations to all Ravens fans everywhere. This Bronco fan is looking to next season.

Reply to this post

Response to LibertyLover (Reply #2)

Response to Chef Eric (Reply #6)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 12:29 PM

8. Censured

Sorry, I was drafting a loan agreement at the same time I was posting and thinking about one of the clauses. Thanks.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:18 AM

3. Usual sort of thing...

"Sure, he axe-murdered three babies and a kitten, but since he apologized, hey, no harm, no foul."

-- Mal

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:40 AM

5. The scumbag is a DEMOCRAT?

I think not. Not in essence.

Reply to this post

Response to FourScore (Reply #5)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 12:15 PM

7. He is a Baptist minister.

Reply to this post

Response to hack89 (Reply #7)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 02:52 PM

9. I wasn't aware that the Civil Rights struggle was for the equal right to be religious bigot...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread