HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » SKorea envoy says NKorea ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 02:32 PM

SKorea envoy says NKorea nuke test seems imminent

Source: AP

UNITED NATIONS (AP) South Korea's U.N. ambassador says a North Korean nuclear test "seems to be imminent."

Ambassador Kim Sook said at a press conference Monday that in the event of a nuclear test, he expects the U.N. Security Council to respond with "very firm and resolute measures."

South Korea holds the Security Council presidency this month but the ambassador said he was speaking as South Korea's envoy.

He said there are "very busy activities" taking place at North Korea's nuclear test site "and everybody's watching."

Read more: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/skorea-envoy-says-nkorea-nuke-test-seems-imminent

5 replies, 981 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply SKorea envoy says NKorea nuke test seems imminent (Original post)
Bosonic Feb 2013 OP
cstanleytech Feb 2013 #1
iandhr Feb 2013 #3
Socal31 Feb 2013 #5
longship Feb 2013 #2
davidpdx Feb 2013 #4

Response to Bosonic (Original post)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 02:55 PM

1. Ya know I wonder if Nkorea is doing this just to keep themselves isolated.

After all if they didnt do it then there would probably be alot of trade going on and people coming and going from Nkorea all the time and potentially exposing their population to new ideas.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to cstanleytech (Reply #1)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 06:27 PM

3. Of course.

The Kim clan's whole bases for keeping power is to keep all outside information from there people.

Reply to this post

Response to cstanleytech (Reply #1)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 07:08 PM

5. If it ends up being highly enriched uranium, instead of plutonuim......

That means they is a practicle test, and will show they have advanced. The yield will say a lot.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 03:14 PM

2. I will put money on a fizzle.

My bet: They don't know how to do the initiator. Without that, all you get is a dirty conventional explosion. Bad, but not as bad as if the initiator works and supplies the requisite neutrons to begin the chain reaction. Without those neutrons, at the correct energy, there is no chain reaction before the whole assembly blows itself apart.

It's not an easy problem to solve, which is why it remains secret. This, for very good reason.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 07:06 PM

4. Sounds like it will be this week

I know down here in South Korea we just got snow the other day. If the bombs are underground then it won't matter at all.

I have severe doubts about a UN resolution because of China. The story said China was in agreement, but I won't believe it until I see it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread