HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Bloomberg Group Airing Gu...

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 03:02 PM

Bloomberg Group Airing Gun Control Ad During Super Bowl

Source: TPM

PEMA LEVY 2:53 PM EST, SUNDAY FEBRUARY 3, 2013

The pro-gun control group founded by New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg will air an ad during the Super Bowl Sunday pushing for universal background checks for gun purchases, the Associated Press reports.

The ad, sponsored by Mayors Against Illegal Guns, uses footage of NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre testifying before Congress in 1999 in support of universal background checks -- a position LaPierre came out against during a Senate hearing this week.

"America can do this. For us. Please," a child's voice says at the end of the ad.

The ad is narrated by children while "America the Beautiful" plays in the background. The cost of running the ad is in the six-figure range.

Watch:

Read more: http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/bloomberg-group-airing-gun-control-ad-during-super

5 replies, 1451 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Bloomberg Group Airing Gun Control Ad During Super Bowl (Original post)
DonViejo Feb 2013 OP
Hoyt Feb 2013 #1
nick of time Feb 2013 #2
Duckhunter935 Feb 2013 #3
graham4anything Feb 2013 #4
ProgressiveProfessor Feb 2013 #5

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 03:10 PM

1. It's time to change attitudes about guns in this country. Good work mayors.

I wish they would show a bunch of these guys to pound home the types of people arming up and worshiping guns in our society:

#t=22s

QUESTION from Dufus: Good evening, America. My name is Jered Townsend from Clio, Michigan.

To all the candidates, tell me your position on gun control, as myself and other Americans really want to know if our babies are safe.

(holds up AR-15 assault rifle variant with multiple attachments) This is my baby, purchased under the 1994 gun ban. Please tell me your views. Thank you.

BIDEN's Dead on Reponse: I'll tell you what, if that is his baby, he needs help. (APPLAUSE)

I think he just made an admission against self-interest. I don't know that he is mentally qualified to own that gun. I'm being serious. . . . . . .

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/12/19/1171999/-Classic-Joe-Biden-If-that-AR-15-is-your-baby-you-need-help

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 03:13 PM

2. Not a bad ad.

But I think it's only being seen in the DC area. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Reply to this post

Response to nick of time (Reply #2)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 03:15 PM

3. I heard that also

Background checks are a start. We also need to update the laws so relevant information is included in those checks.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 04:48 PM

4. Cool! Great time magazine this week with Joe Biden and Mike Bloomberg & Gabbie Giffords

Mike Bloomberg is the Great Equalizer

the NRA keeps blackmailing candidates to do its bidding

finally someone is putting their money up to defeat the NRA

it's about time.

our lives depend upon it.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 05:15 PM

5. MAIG has a higher felony rate than gun owners

just saying...

Reply to this post