HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » North Korea imposes marti...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:44 PM

North Korea imposes martial law, orders troops to ‘be ready for war’ - report

Source: RT

North Korea has allegedly been placed under martial law and its ruler Kim Jong-un has ordered the army to “prepare for war”, a South Korean daily claims.

­The North Korean leader issued a series of orders to his top defense and security officials on Saturday to conclude preparations for a new nuclear test, the Seoul based Korea JoongAng Daily alleges citing an unnamed source.

The source reportedly said that Kim Jong-un issued a secret order to “complete preparations for a nuclear weapons test <…>and carry it out soon”.

According to the source, Kim Jong-un also said, “The country will be under martial law starting from midnight January 29th and all the frontline and central units should be ready for war.”

Read more: http://rt.com/news/martial-law-north-korea-180/

(More at the link.)

28 replies, 3709 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 28 replies Author Time Post
Reply North Korea imposes martial law, orders troops to ‘be ready for war’ - report (Original post)
Fire Walk With Me Jan 2013 OP
geek tragedy Jan 2013 #1
MNBrewer Jan 2013 #7
R. Daneel Olivaw Jan 2013 #9
discntnt_irny_srcsm Jan 2013 #11
IthinkThereforeIAM Jan 2013 #16
Posteritatis Jan 2013 #13
iandhr Jan 2013 #2
nick of time Jan 2013 #3
Flashmann Jan 2013 #4
pampango Feb 2013 #23
Flashmann Feb 2013 #24
NYC Liberal Jan 2013 #5
Richard_uk Jan 2013 #6
MNBrewer Jan 2013 #8
Ter Jan 2013 #18
geardaddy Jan 2013 #10
Victor_c3 Jan 2013 #12
Posteritatis Jan 2013 #14
Kip Humphrey Jan 2013 #15
davidpdx Jan 2013 #17
Socal31 Feb 2013 #19
davidpdx Feb 2013 #28
pampango Feb 2013 #22
davidpdx Feb 2013 #26
Scairp Feb 2013 #20
odiumestpuritas Feb 2013 #21
humblebum Feb 2013 #25
Laelth Feb 2013 #27

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Original post)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:47 PM

1. Has there ever been a time when NK wasn't under martial law? nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to geek tragedy (Reply #1)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:57 PM

7. Yeah, how can you tell the difference?

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 03:11 PM

9. No, but this is double secret martial law!

Reply to this post

Response to R. Daneel Olivaw (Reply #9)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 03:29 PM

11. Kim meet Dougie

Same stare wouldn't you say?

Reply to this post

Response to R. Daneel Olivaw (Reply #9)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 07:28 PM

16. Good one...

... ha ha.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 05:36 PM

13. Maybe before 1910? (nt)

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:49 PM

2. North Korea threatens war on a daily basis.

Is this different from the usual saber rattling?

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:50 PM

3. I thought that NK was in a perpetual state of Martial Law?

I guess Un isn't getting the attention he craves and has to throw a temper tantrum.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:52 PM

4. complete preparations for a nuclear weapons test <…>and carry it out soon”.

That's scarey.......We'd consider that a serious threat to world peace IF there were oil fields there.....

Reply to this post

Response to Flashmann (Reply #4)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 06:18 AM

23. I think we already consider it "serious threat to world peace". NK is isolated diplomatically and

the subject of UN-approved (even China voted in favor) sanctions. What else can anyone do, unless you consider military invasion or starving them out which most would not support?

The source said Kim Jong-un is worried about China’s reaction to a nuclear test. China is the regime’s closest ally and has warned the North not to go ahead with a third nuclear test.

At the meeting, Kim allegedly said, “China is still useful to us. We need to be careful of the relationship with China.” Kim also asked his officials to be careful of criticizing Beijing.

“The recent criticism of China was too tough,” he said, according to the source. “We need to make this correct.”

This appears to refer to a statement made on Friday by the National Defense Commission, the North’s top military body, which said China “abandoned its principle” by approving the new UN resolution which includes tougher sanctions against Pyongyang.

http://koreajoongangdaily.joinsmsn.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2966413&cloc=joongangdaily|home|newslist1

Reply to this post

Response to pampango (Reply #23)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 06:50 AM

24. I think we already consider it "serious threat to world peace".

Yeah....I know....I almost used the sarcasm emoticon,then figured it wouldn't be necessary.....

My point being that we've overlooked this threat many times before and gone to address threats in places having resources we can rescue.....

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:55 PM

5. "Martial law"...I wonder how this is different from the normal dictatorship...

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:56 PM

6. Does anyone think the N Korean generals like taking orders from this kid

I predict a short life with a messy end for the dear young fat leader.

I wonder if Ladbrooks would take that bet?

Reply to this post

Response to Richard_uk (Reply #6)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 03:00 PM

8. If it's the generals in charge, he's still useful.

They've developed quite an extensive mythology around the Kims. I've heard his father didn't even shit, because he was so divine. I suppose Jong-un doesn't even utilize oxygen.

Reply to this post

Response to Richard_uk (Reply #6)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 10:20 PM

18. Can we all come back to this thread and laugh if he's still in power in 50 years?

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 03:19 PM

10. The DPRK and ROK are still at war technically anyway.

Preparing for war?

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 03:37 PM

12. I wonder if this is some sort of ploy or shake up by the top North Korean officials?

Maybe the new leader is just trying to shake up his people to see who will stand by him or who'll defect or appear weak?

He just took power and he needs to do something to show that he is, in fact, in charge up there.

Reply to this post

Response to Victor_c3 (Reply #12)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 05:40 PM

14. I figured that sort of thing was just called "Tuesday" there. (nt)

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 07:26 PM

15. When your population is starving... ...PREPARE FOR WAR!!!

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 10:20 PM

17. First, I am leery of that source

I very much doubt they have inside quotes from NK. I personally don't see RT as a creditable source, no offense.

Second, the nuclear test has been pretty much expected for awhile. I live in South Korea and we usually will get an email from the US Embassy stating the test is imminent. Given that it's still cold and there has been snow and ice, mid to late February seems more likely for a test.

Also this isn't the first time North Korea has put their troops on alert. It happens quite often.

Reply to this post

Response to davidpdx (Reply #17)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 02:06 AM

19. SK is such a wonderful place.

Full disclosure, never been there myself, but I have spoken to many people who have.

The people are wonderful as well.

It is sad that the capital can be leveled by conventional, let alone nuclear NK forces, before a single missle leaves an Ohio class, or a F-22 leaves Japan, or carrier launches a jet.

Nobody takes them seriously, which is the scary part. Everyone assumes the upper echelon would not commit suicide by attacking SK which has ~28k American forces alongside the SK forces. The problem is that most of the time something is a "shock", we were assuming it could never happen.

Reply to this post

Response to Socal31 (Reply #19)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 08:33 AM

28. It's true people are mostly apathetic about North Korea

which is sad because the regular citizens up there suffer so much. The Korean Christians that are rich give quite a bit of money to help smuggle North Koreans out of their country or China.

All they really could use is mortar shells which would do enough damage to level most of Seoul. South Korea and the US would still level North Korea if they ever tried that so it would be suicide for them.

I've been up to the DMZ and it is quite incredible (Bill Clinton described it as the scariest place on earth when he visited during his presidency).

Reply to this post

Response to davidpdx (Reply #17)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 06:12 AM

22. That is a problematic source but the news is at other sites. Here's the original SK 'media report'

that the article is based on.

Jong-un issues a martial law order

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un issued a secret order to “complete preparations for a nuclear weapons test between Tuesday and yesterday” and carry it out sometime soon, a source told the JoongAng Ilbo.

The North’s state media reported Sunday that Kim convened an emergency meeting with top defense and security officials on Saturday. It said Kim made a stern command to take “effective, high-profile state measures” and “assigned specific tasks” to officials. The measures were sparked by new sanctions unanimously passed by the United Nations Security Council on North Korean entities and individuals, including travel bans and asset freezes, the media said. The reports boosted speculation that Kim is preparing a third nuclear weapons test.

The source said Kim Jong-un is worried about China’s reaction to a nuclear test. China is the regime’s closest ally and has warned the North not to go ahead with a third nuclear test. At the meeting, Kim allegedly said, “China is still useful to us. We need to be careful of the relationship with China.” Kim also asked his officials to be careful of criticizing Beijing.

“The recent criticism of China was too tough,” he said, according to the source. “We need to make this correct.” This appears to refer to a statement made on Friday by the National Defense Commission, the North’s top military body, which said China “abandoned its principle” by approving the new UN resolution which includes tougher sanctions against Pyongyang.

http://koreajoongangdaily.joinsmsn.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2966413&cloc=joongangdaily|home|newslist1

Sounds like NK is miffed with China for going along with tighter UN sanctions but knows that China is "still useful" to NK. And China is miffed with NK and advised them not to proceed with a nuclear test.

Reply to this post

Response to pampango (Reply #22)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 08:15 AM

26. Thanks

The Joongang Daily is a pretty good paper here unlike the Korea Herald and Korea Times which can't even proof read the articles in English (it's hard to believe they actually charge for papers like that). Newspapers are just too expensive these days to buy much and the area of town I live in doesn't carry English papers (you really have to be in the business districts, Itaewon or Gangnam to find papers in English).

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 03:43 AM

20. Wow

This little creep is deeply insane. And I didn't know there was any other law besides Martial Law in N. Korea. New one on me. So how does John Kerry respond to this?

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 04:17 AM

21. The people are starving, if reports are true and this is a way to get attention and

in the end food aid and China will look good for getting them to calm down because China seems to be about the only country who can talk to them.

This is not the first time NK has done this to get something they need.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 08:12 AM

25. It's always 1984 in North Korea.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 08:28 AM

27. k&r for exposure. n/t

-Laelth

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread