HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Judge Who Ruled Against R...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 11:40 PM

Judge Who Ruled Against Recess Appointments Is A Wingnut

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Lasher (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Crooks and Liars

Just thought I'd point out the long-time wingnuttery and judicial activism of D.C. District Judge David Sentelle, the Reagan-appointee circuit judge and Jesse Helms protegee -- the man who appointed Kenneth Starr -- who just invalidated Obama's NLRB appointments, thus kicking off a whole potential mess o'legal chaos!

Back to Sentelle, the lead judge of this circuit court, and a reminder that this is someone who, when he gets a chance, puts his right wing, authoritarian political beliefs over and above the principle of justice. Is it any wonder that the reason he became a judge is that he was appointed by Ronald Reagan, a man who also whenever he got a chance, also put his own right wing, authoritarian political beliefs over and above the principle of justice.

This is, for example, the same partisan hack who voted to overturn the convictions of Oliver North and John Poindexter, for their Iran Contra crimes.

This is, for example, the same partisan hack who appointed his fellow partisan hack Kenneth Starr for his witchhunt of the Clintons.

Read more: http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madrak/judge-who-ruled-against-recess-appoin

8 replies, 1759 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Judge Who Ruled Against Recess Appointments Is A Wingnut (Original post)
TomCADem Jan 2013 OP
MADem Jan 2013 #1
elleng Jan 2013 #2
Purveyor Jan 2013 #3
Grassy Knoll Jan 2013 #4
dballance Jan 2013 #5
Trascoli Jan 2013 #6
jsr Jan 2013 #7
Lasher Jan 2013 #8

Response to TomCADem (Original post)

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 11:42 PM

1. Geez, who'd a thunkit?

So much for "activist judges," eh?

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 11:44 PM

2. Just thought I'd point out that this was a 3-judge panel.

To blame one judge with whom we probably disagree on many things for a decision of the entire panel is foolish.

This issue is being entertained by other courts, in other cases.

'Sentelle, joined by Judges Karen LeCraft Henderson and Thomas B. Griffith, said that the Constitution’s reference to “the Recess” means that appointments are allowed only during the recess between sessions of the Senate, not when the Senate is simply on a break. It was not up to the president to decide what constitutes a recess, Sentelle said.

The ruling noted that another federal appeals court has read the Constitution differently, which adds to the likelihood the Supreme Court will have to settle the issue. . .

NLRB Chairman Mark Gaston Pearce said the board, which now has only three members, will continue with business as usual.

“It should be noted that this order applies to only one specific case, Noel Canning, and that similar questions have been raised in more than a dozen cases pending in other courts of appeals,” Pearce said in a statement on the board’s Web site.'

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/01/25/court-obama-nlrb-recess-appointments-unconstitutional/

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 11:55 PM

3. Anyone think the result will be better once it goes to the 'supremes'? Just asking as I haven't

a legal/judicial clue on this one...

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:12 AM

4. Sore Loser Cons Will Do Anything........

To make loser baby boots, look worse than Obama, They Have to, It's CON LAW.

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:18 AM

5. Curiosity Question - Any Attorney Please Answer

The rags say that the Obama Admin - presumably Holder - will appeal this to SCOTUS. Wouldn't they first appeal it to an en banc hearing by the appeals court before SCOTUS? And what would that mean as to whether or not the NLRB should continue making rulings as well as Cordray as the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau head? I would guess it has somewhat less impact on the CFPB because Cordray isn't making rulings, just running a department???

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:21 AM

6. I knew this would come out

I didn't look into the history of this judge, but I knew it

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:23 AM

7. Sentelle is a good ol' fascist, racist snake

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:52 AM

8. Locking...

This is an interesting article with good background information. But I need to lock it because analysis/opinion pieces are not permitted in LBN. Please consider posting it in Good Reads or GD.