HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Facebook's Sheryl Sandber...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 03:47 PM

Facebook's Sheryl Sandberg attacks gender stereotypes at work

Source: The Guardian

Sheryl Sandberg, the chief operating officer of Facebook, has launched a fierce attack on the gender stereotypes that hold back women at work at the World Economic Forum in Davos.

Sandberg, who is publishing a book called Lean In on women in the workplace in March, singled out T-shirts sold in the US, with the boys' version emblazoned with the words "Smart Like Daddy", while the girls' version says "Pretty like Mommy".

"I would love to say that was 1951, but it was last year," she said. "As a woman becomes more successful, she is less liked, and as a man becomes more successful, he is more liked, and that starts with those T-shirts."

She blasted managers who unconsciously reflect stereotypes when they judge women's performance, saying: "She's great at her job but she's just not as well liked by her peers," or: "She's a bit aggressive."

Read more: http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/jan/25/facebook-sheryl-sandberg-gender-stereotypes

2 replies, 1274 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Facebook's Sheryl Sandberg attacks gender stereotypes at work (Original post)
alp227 Jan 2013 OP
enlightenment Jan 2013 #1
Tumbulu Jan 2013 #2

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 04:47 PM

1. She also said it should be acceptable - nay, encouraged, for

employers to ask potential female employees what their future family plans might be. She couches it in "we need to have more open dialogue", but she doesn't do a very good job of explaining why it's relevant.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to enlightenment (Reply #1)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 02:14 PM

2. well it could be relevant for providing adequate childcare

and back up support for maternity leave, etc.

I think it would be better to be open if it was not an excuse to exclude (which unfortunately it usually is in the US at least).

I was denied acceptance into a grad program for my PhD (in the early 80's) because I would not agree to take a maximum 6 week maternity leave in my entire working career if I should ever have a child......very punitive really. Who would agree to that? Some women did, but that is not enough time.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread