HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Stephen King's eBook 'Gun...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 01:02 PM

Stephen King's eBook 'Guns' Attacks NRA, Gun Owners, Politicians Over Inaction And Hypocrisy

Source: The Huffington Post

The author Stephen King today published Guns, a powerful essay about gun culture, in which he calls on gun owners to support the ban on semi-automatic weapons.

King, famous for writing books including Misery, The Shining, It and Carrie says in Guns, which was released as a short ebook on the Kindle Singles platform, that “strict gun control would save thousands of lives.”

He added that "to claim that America’s 'culture of violence' is responsible for school shootings is tantamount to cigarette company executives declaring that environmental pollution is the chief cause of cancer."

King, known for being a Democrat, is a gun owner, stating in the piece that he owns three handguns. He also has a tangential relationship to previous school shootings, as a number of teenage gunmen in the 1980s claimed to have been inspired in part by King's novella Rage. That story was originally written by King as an adolescent, and is about a teenage gunman. It was later published under the pen name Richard Bachman. Following the shooting incidents, King requested to his publisher that the story be pulled from circulation.

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/25/stephen-king-ebook-guns-_n_2551128.html

Hear hear! I've no qualms with anyone owning a hunting rifle or revolver. But does anybody truly need to own weaponry designed for warfare?

20 replies, 3185 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 20 replies Author Time Post
Reply Stephen King's eBook 'Guns' Attacks NRA, Gun Owners, Politicians Over Inaction And Hypocrisy (Original post)
Ian Iam Jan 2013 OP
SIBIndi Jan 2013 #1
sheshe2 Jan 2013 #2
LanternWaste Jan 2013 #4
Lordquinton Jan 2013 #8
naturallyselected Jan 2013 #10
Lordquinton Jan 2013 #19
daleo Jan 2013 #20
Ian Iam Jan 2013 #5
RebelOne Jan 2013 #16
Ian Iam Jan 2013 #17
AtheistCrusader Jan 2013 #3
RevStPatrick Jan 2013 #6
RevStPatrick Jan 2013 #7
fleur-de-lisa Jan 2013 #9
Ian Iam Jan 2013 #11
sulphurdunn Jan 2013 #12
WeekendWarrior Jan 2013 #13
farminator3000 Jan 2013 #14
supercats Jan 2013 #15
primavera Jan 2013 #18

Response to Ian Iam (Original post)

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 01:16 PM

1. Its a moot point....

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 01:21 PM

2. I really like the last paragraph/ quote from King.

He is an amazing man. I have always been a fan of his. Many people just see him as a writer of Horror stories. Having read all his books (more than once), he bases most of them on a theme of good vs. evil. One does not need to even read the article at the Huff, to know what category he places the NRA in.

Good catch, Ian Iam.

Thanks!
sheshe

Reply to this post

Response to sheshe2 (Reply #2)

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 01:49 PM

4. some years back he directed his publishers to stop printing his novalla Rage.

Additionally, some years back he directed his publishers to stop printing, and to never allow re-print of his 1977 novella, Rage, as he was uncomfortable with the book being widely available due to its loose association with 3 or 4 school shootings including hostage taking. In a footnote to the preface of Blaze, King wrote of Rage: "Now out of print, and a good thing."

My only point being, that he believes in sacrificing his own money to better accommodate the collective well-being of the people. I find that a most admirable quality.

As an aside, I've been to two writing in-services in which he was the key-note speaker, and was surprised to find out how politically active he is in the progressive and Liberal communities. I agree... he is indeed an amazing man, and a spectacular writer.

Reply to this post

Response to LanternWaste (Reply #4)

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 02:35 PM

8. One bit sticks out here...

"My only point being, that he believes in sacrificing his own money to better accommodate the collective well-being of the people. I find that a most admirable quality. "

"...released as a short ebook on the Kindle Singles platform..."

He released it to a very small audience, and requires a big investment to be able to read it, one that, myself, and probably most of his target audience aren't a part of, so either I obtain it through grey channels (one again proving that piracy is a distribution issue) or I don't read it at all.

everything else is top notch.

Reply to this post

Response to Lordquinton (Reply #8)

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 02:47 PM

10. 99 cents

This essay is available for 99 cents. I don't know if it is a source of profit for Stephen King, but I would be surprised if it was. Maybe someone else knows what he is doing with the proceeds.

You don't need a Kindle to read Kindle ebooks. There are free Kindle applications for iOS, Blackberry, and Android mobile devices, and both Macs and Windows computers. So the cost isn't prohibitive.

Reply to this post

Response to naturallyselected (Reply #10)

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 08:49 PM

19. That's good to know

only have a windows PC, and don't plan on getting any other platform.

Reply to this post

Response to Lordquinton (Reply #19)

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 11:28 PM

20. You can download a kindle app for your windows computer

It's easy and free.

Reply to this post

Response to sheshe2 (Reply #2)

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 01:50 PM

5. "The Shining" and "Pet Sematary" were brilliant

But I'm actually a bigger fan of his shorter work: Stories like Children of the Corn and Uncle Otto's Truck really 'bring' the imagery.

By the by, it's just Ian. "Iam" isn't my last name. I took a cue from the song Henry the 8th I Am when choosing my moniker.

Reply to this post

Response to Ian Iam (Reply #5)

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 07:59 PM

16. "The Stand" was his best ever. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to RebelOne (Reply #16)

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 08:17 PM

17. You've a lot of company in that opinion

But I rank it as his third-best novel, trailing behind the two listed above by a consiberable margin. But I did like it.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 01:22 PM

3. 2/3 of all firearm-related deaths require only one shot.

We can save up to 20k/year just with single payer, and covering mental health care to drive down suicide rates.

Twenty thousand people. Every year.
Firearms cannot be firearms and still be made 'mild' enough to save those lives.

How many of the remaining 9-10k/year would still occur if we took away the violence that comes along with the drug war?

(I have a five shot bolt action rifle that was designed for war as well. I use it for deer. In WWI it went to Europe and was used against the Germans. I'm not sure that 'for warfare' is a meaningful distinction.)

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 02:04 PM

6. I think I'll download it now.

The last thing of King's that I read was 11/22/63.
There were guns in that too...

Reply to this post

Response to RevStPatrick (Reply #6)

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 02:08 PM

7. And just like that, I can start reading it.

"Here's how it shakes out..."

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 02:39 PM

9. Welcome to DU Ian!

Reply to this post

Response to fleur-de-lisa (Reply #9)

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 04:04 PM

11. Thank you

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 04:15 PM

12. By definition

"a school shooting" requires a gun. No gun. No shooting. No problem. There is a caveat. I'm a gun owner. I would never hand my guns over to anyone. However, if we stopped selling guns today, and since there are approximately 270 million of them in circulation, there will be plenty of firearms in private hands for at least the next century. By then, if we don't address global issues such as over population and climate change, gun lobby PR that peddles guns as ways to protect life and personal liberty will be tragically meaningless, and all those guns will protect neither for anyone.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 05:11 PM

13. An excellent essay

He makes very valid points, and I pretty much agree with everything he says.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 06:23 PM

14. nice to get so much exposure(All profits will benefit the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence)

i was just telling some gun weirdo today that it should be easier to regulate guns than tobacco because they are a fetish, not an addiction.
i still agree with the below, of course!

He goes on to attack both politicians' and media responses to gun tragedies, and also dismisses many of the arguments put forward by gun owners, writing that "plenty of gun advocates cling to their semi-automatics the way Amy Winehouse and Michael Jackson clung to the shit that was killing them."

He also speaks out personally against Wayne LaPierre and the NRA, in graphic terms:

"One only wishes Wayne LaPierre and his NRA board of directors could be drafted to some of these scenes, where they would be required to put on booties and rubber gloves and help clean up the blood, the brains, and the chunks of intestine still containing the poor wads of half-digested food that were some innocent bystander’s last meal."

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 07:28 PM

15. Thank YOu Stephen King

I have heard him speak several times and I have always liked and respected his intelligence, his wit and his point of view. And there's no difference in this post either. Good on you Mr. King!!!

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 08:18 PM

18. Nice to hear a gun owner say this

As has often been pointed out to me, the NRA, despite being the most vocal and visible spokesman for the gun community, is much more extreme than most gun owners. I think that the world needs to see that the NRA does not speak for all gun owners; that many gun owners are prepared to embrace sensible gun control measures. For that to happen, though, we need more gun owners like King stepping up to the plate and making their views known.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread