HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Chief Theresa Spence to e...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 05:11 AM

Chief Theresa Spence to end hunger strike today

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by OKNancy (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Canadian Broadcasting Corporation

Spence to wrap it up after NDPs, Liberals and chiefs sign her declaration

Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence has decided to end her six-week-long hunger strike after members of the Assembly of First Nations and the Liberal and New Democrat caucuses agreed to back a list of commitments supporting aboriginal issues.

Representatives from the AFN, the NDP caucus and the Liberal caucus have all signed a declaration of specific commitments asked for by Spence. Interim Liberal Leader Bob Rae, who was in Sarnia Wednesday, will also be signing the 13-point declaration.

Michèle Audette, president of the Canadian Native Women's Association, said Spence will hold a press conference Thursday morning in Ottawa at 11 a.m. ET, along with Raymond Robinson, an elder from Cross Lake Nation in Manitoba.

Robinson, who joined Spence in her liquids-only diet, will also announce an end to his protest.

"I have never been in such an awe-inspiring movement … with all the nations of different races coming together to try to achieve a common goal, and I cannot thank them enough for all the generosity, all the support," Robinson told CBC News Wednesday.

<snip>

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/01/23/attawapiskat-spence-hunger-strike.html

Inspiring video news story at the link.

1 replies, 408 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Chief Theresa Spence to end hunger strike today (Original post)
bananas Jan 2013 OP
OKNancy Jan 2013 #1

Response to bananas (Original post)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 05:13 AM

1. duplicate topic

please add this article to the previous LBN thread: http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014378703

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink