HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » U.S. drone kills six susp...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 02:37 AM

U.S. drone kills six suspected al Qaeda members in Yemen: sources

Source: Reuters

SANAA - At least six suspected al Qaeda members were killed in a U.S. drone strike in northern Yemen on Wednesday, local sources said, in an escalating campaign in which at least 20 Islamist militants have died this week.

The United States never comments on strikes by its pilotless aircraft, which it has used to track down militants in Yemen for years. The Yemeni government tolerates such strikes but usually does not comment on the U.S. role in specific incidents.

Washington has scaled up action against al Qaeda in Yemen, where the group exploited widespread anti-government unrest in 2011 to seize swathes of territory in the southern part of the country, before being driven out in a U.S.-backed offensive in June last year.

The sources said the drone strike targeted a vehicle travelling in rural areas near the capital Sanaa. "The vehicle was totally destroyed and the corpses were burned beyond recognition," one source told Reuters.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/23/us-yemen-qaeda-idUSBRE90M1H520130123

12 replies, 1689 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Original post)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 03:54 AM

1. Yemen is a dictatorship. Not that anyone cares.......

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 04:03 AM

2. Someone please explain to me how it is acceptable for the US to kill foreign citizens

on their own soil without a declaration of war? Suspected "Al Qaeda" is BS in my opinion. Why is there not more outrage over this? Why is the President getting a free pass on the drone murders?

Reply to this post

Response to indie9197 (Reply #2)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 05:45 AM

3. The US killing foreign citizens on their own soil without a declaration of war is a tradition

that dates back at least to the Korean war, which curiously technically still isn't over. Vietnam, Panama, Lebanon, Grenada, Kuwait, Libya, and Somalia were not "declared" wars, many more I am sure. I don't think any of them would have been improved by filing the proper paperwork.

Would the killing be better if the foriegn citizens were killed in a different country by soldiers using guns after a declaration of war? I don't think so.

Why don't we just object to killing people generally?

Reply to this post

Response to quaker bill (Reply #3)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 06:45 AM

5. Given how good the intel must be you could send in a strike force.

But that'd be politically risky (see Somalia) with easy to use drones which are flown by some guy sitting in a suit somewhere drinking a cup of coffee. Sadly American blood lust is fine with a headline "60 Pakistani wedding guests massacred by drone strike" and would prefer such a headline to "10 Navy SEALS killed in strike force intended to take out terrorist cell." The former, Americans shrug off, the latter would be on the news as a headline for weeks.

http://livingunderdrones.org/

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 06:39 AM

4. It's called targeted killing.

Basically it's weasel language to get around the idea of not assassinating people. ie, if you assassinate a belligerent that is not supported or acknowledged by a government then it's not an assassination but targeted killing.

The Third Geneva Convention does not protect belligerents. Obviously because if states have uprisings those belligerents could be protected and states can't have that. And belligerents aren't known to follow the laws of war (they tend to target civilians, which is an effective tactic in guerrilla warfare).

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 08:15 AM

10. Well, I'm certainly outraged. So that makes two of us. Every time they say "suspected"

my blood pressure goes up another notch.

Americans, generally, seem un-able to put themselves in another human being's place.

What if the Chinese government were blowing away our citizens at will, and then saying they were suspected of some wrongdoing? Oh...that's different. We're murikens, blessed by God, doncha know.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 06:48 AM

6. how about the fact there are bad people out there

that must be stopped. If those countries have a problem then they should be fighting these terriest on their own and clean up their own mess. Instead these goverments are dirty and allow these groups. So we need to go in and protect our country and its people

Reply to this post

Response to BigD_95 (Reply #6)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 08:28 AM

11. Where to start?...

1. "suspected"

2. Many of those so-called "terrists" are ordinary citizens who are resisting U.S. military's predations in their own country. Which is what we would be doing if another country started mixing and stirring in our business.

3. Yes, there are "bad" people out there. Let's make a list. I'll start:

a) pentagon

4. Resource wars. (Bonus fact)

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 06:51 AM

7. I really want to see Jeremy Scahill's new documentary about drones and AfricaCom.

“The world is a battlefield,” is the tagline for Dirty Wars, a documentary that premiered days ago at the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah. The film produced by Nation national security correspondent Jeremy Scahill and Big Noise Films director Rick Rowley attempts to bring the US global war on terrorism out of the shadows by spotlighting the CIA agents, special forces operators, military generals and US-backed warlords who are waging this war. The film also follows Scahill as survivors of night raids and drone strikes are located and interviewed about their experiences.

A part of the film looks at a brutal night raid that took place in Gardez, Afghanistan. Scahill recounted, “US special operations forces had ‘intelligence’ that a Taliban cell was having some meeting to prepare a suicide bomber.” They raided this home in the middle of the night and killed five people, three of them women. Two of the women were pregnant. Mohammed Daoud, a senior Afghan police commander who was trained by the United States and Military Professional Resources, Inc., a private military contractor, was killed. They had actually been celebrating the birth of a child. When the soldiers realized what they had done, they conspired to cover up the killings.

http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/2013/01/22/dirty-wars-film-brings-global-war-on-terrorism-out-of-the-shadows/

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 06:58 AM

8. The Chamber of Commerce presents "The Gulf of Aden Incubator",...

..featuring Osama's hiding place, the wreck of the Cole, bomb smuggling routes from Iran to Hamas,...

It's everything a fanatic with a millenia-old grudge could pray for!

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 07:54 AM

9. These were PEOPLE that were killed

Calling them "suspected al Qaeda members" de-humanizes them.

These people, and the many others who have been murdered in this way over past few years, had families -- mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, wives, girlfriends, children, ... who are wailing in sorrow for the deaths of their loved ones.

And, as the murderer-in-chief dances with his wife before the glittering cameras, the people at DU fawn all over him:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022235676

No wonder her dress is red.

Reply to this post

Response to onwardsand upwards (Reply #9)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 08:35 AM

12. You're echoing what I said, upthread. I really am deeply troubled by the drone wars...

Can't get past it.

Oh, and I think your last line says it well.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread