HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » House Republican Leader B...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 11:47 PM

House Republican Leader Blames Gun Violence On ‘Welfare Moms’

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Rhiannon12866 (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Think Progress

Rep. James Lankford (R-OK), the fifth-ranking House Republican, laid the blame for gun violence at the feet of an unusual suspect: the children of “welfare moms” who commit fraud.

In a meeting with constituents earlier this month in Oklahoma City, a woman asked the GOP congressman what he was doing to combat all the children who were committing gun violence because they were high on psychotropic drugs. Lankford replied that he “agree with that” and then went on to blame Social Security disability fraud for the rash of gun violence around the country. “Quite frankly some of the overmedication of kids are because welfare moms want to get additional benefits,” Lankford said:

CONSTITUENT: My question is regarding the guns and is Washington at all aware of the psychotropic drugs that these children are taking? I guarantee it 100 percent that’s our big problem.

LANKFORD: I agree with that. I think there’s a bunch of issues that, quite frankly, most liberals are afraid to talk about. Where are we on all those psychiatric drugs? We’ve overmedicated kids. Quite frankly some of the overmedication of kids are because welfare moms want to get additional benefits and if they can put them on SSI through maintenance drugs, they can also put them on Social Security disability and get a separate check. That is wrong on every single level. Not only is it fraudulent to the government, but it also tells a kid with great potential, “don’t try because you’re disabled.”

Read more: http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/01/22/1479781/james-lankford-guns/

I seem to recall that neither mom in the Sandy Hook or New Mexico shootings were "welfare moms." Instead, both were families that exercised their second amendment right to own assault weapons whose children turned these readily available guns in the household on them.

3 replies, 667 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply House Republican Leader Blames Gun Violence On ‘Welfare Moms’ (Original post)
TomCADem Jan 2013 OP
Smilo Jan 2013 #1
Warpy Jan 2013 #2
Rhiannon12866 Jan 2013 #3

Response to TomCADem (Original post)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 11:49 PM

1. Spread fear, spread hate...........

that the GOPT platform.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 12:26 AM

2. yeah because only black kids from the ghetto have guns

and are shooting up schools, malls and their families.

Oh, wait...

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 12:49 AM

3. Locking, sorry, this isn't breaking news, from early yesterday.

Please feel free to repost in another forum. Thanks!