HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Seau's family sues NFL ov...

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 01:53 PM

Seau's family sues NFL over brain injuries

Source: AP-EXCITE

By BARRY WILNER

The family of Junior Seau has sued the NFL, claiming the former linebacker's suicide was the result of brain disease caused by violent hits he sustained while playing football.

The wrongful death lawsuit, filed Wednesday in California Superior Court in San Diego, blames the NFL for its "acts or omissions" that hid the dangers of repetitive blows to the head. It says Seau developed chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) from those hits, and accuses the NFL of deliberately ignoring and concealing evidence of the risks associated with traumatic brain injuries.

Seau died at age 43 of a self-inflicted gunshot in May. He was diagnosed with CTE, based on posthumous tests, earlier this month.

An Associated Press review in November found that more than 3,800 players have sued the NFL over head injuries in at least 175 cases as the concussion issue has gained attention in recent years. More than 100 of the concussion lawsuits have been brought together before U.S. District Judge Anita B. Brody in Philadelphia.

FULL story at link.

Read more: http://apnews.excite.com/article/20130123/DA402MJ02.html

This Jan. 10, 2010, file photo shows New England Patriots linebacker Junior Seau before an NFL wild-card playoff football game in Foxborough, Mass. The family of Junior Seau has sued the NFL, claiming the former linebacker's suicide was the result of brain disease caused by violent hits he sustained while playing football. The wrongful death lawsuit, filed Wednesday, Jan. 23, 2013 in California Superior Court in San Diego, blames the NFL for its "acts or omissions" that hid the dangers of repetitive blows to the head. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa, File)

16 replies, 1653 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 16 replies Author Time Post
Reply Seau's family sues NFL over brain injuries (Original post)
Omaha Steve Jan 2013 OP
Stuckinthebush Jan 2013 #1
leftyohiolib Jan 2013 #2
MindPilot Jan 2013 #3
JI7 Jan 2013 #4
alp227 Jan 2013 #5
Marrah_G Jan 2013 #7
MindPilot Jan 2013 #9
Marrah_G Jan 2013 #15
msanthrope Jan 2013 #13
leftyohiolib Jan 2013 #8
MindPilot Jan 2013 #10
Marrah_G Jan 2013 #16
Marrah_G Jan 2013 #6
Fearless Jan 2013 #12
Dyedinthewoolliberal Jan 2013 #11
Marrah_G Jan 2013 #14

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 02:44 PM

1. Not likely to go anywhere

It's not as if he didn't know the dangers of playing football. I don't see this lawsuit being successful. Maybe it will be helpful in further highlighting the dangers.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 03:06 PM

2. he shoots himself and the family sues the nfl - talk about cashing in on a tragedy

Reply to this post

Response to leftyohiolib (Reply #2)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 03:28 PM

3. I don't think they are cashing in.

Seau shot himself in the chest instead of in the head for the express purpose of preserving his brain for forensic study. I seriously doubt if this is about money. I think it is about forcing the NFL to acknowledge that this is a problem and it needs to be addressed.

Fundamentally Junior Seau sacrificed himself to the betterment of the game and his teammates.

Reply to this post

Response to MindPilot (Reply #3)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 04:27 PM

4. yes, and considering the culture of some sports, it might take something like this

for them to actually do something.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 08:11 PM

5. He really calculated his suicide that precisely???

Life was really that bad for him?

Reply to this post

Response to alp227 (Reply #5)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 08:40 AM

9. I believe he thought "no one listens to me while I'm alive..."

He knew his problems were from brain injuries from playing football. He saw it in his teammates. He tried to get the NFL to pay attention. And finally he came to the conclusion that it would take something this extreme to shock people into action.

Pretty much turned the tragedy of suicide into an act of courage and sacrifice. Looks like his plan is working.

Yes, life was that bad for him. And it had become that way--as we now know--as a direct result of the injuries sustained while playing football.

Reply to this post

Response to MindPilot (Reply #9)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 02:14 PM

15. The brain disease itself causes makes life miserable

Reply to this post

Response to alp227 (Reply #5)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 02:08 PM

13. Yes. nt

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:16 PM

8. im familiar with the case-and of course he has head trauma - maybe the cashing in is unfair -

but anyone who thinks there's no harm coming from that "sport" is delusional along with thinking that anything will change. there will be an undisclosed settlement wrapped in a gag order the family will be paid and the whole thing will be dropped and forgotten. business the american way.

Reply to this post

Response to leftyohiolib (Reply #8)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 08:49 AM

10. I hope you are wrong.

I suspect OSHA will get involved; at the root, this is an on-the-job injury at a union shop.

Reply to this post

Response to leftyohiolib (Reply #8)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 02:16 PM

16. The repeated head truama caused his brain disease

Something they could not diagnose without an autopsy.

So sad.

Reply to this post

Response to leftyohiolib (Reply #2)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 08:21 PM

6. No there is alot more to it

Reply to this post

Response to Marrah_G (Reply #6)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 02:08 PM

12. Much more.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 01:19 PM

11. I wonder how much of this (the injuries)

have to do with equipment? I gotta believe there is a better helmet design somewhere. I wonder why that's not being looked at...........

Reply to this post

Response to Dyedinthewoolliberal (Reply #11)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 02:12 PM

14. Actually better helmets are thought to be part of the problem

The theory is: As helmets got better players started hitting harder and getting hit harder, because they felt it was safer to do so. So the benefit of the better helmets was voided.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread