HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » ‘The Dream is Now’—Steve ...

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 03:42 PM

‘The Dream is Now’—Steve Jobs’ widow launches new Dream Act push

Source: Yahoo News

The project allows young undocumented immigrants to submit videos describing how their lives would change if the Dream Act were passed. Others can also submit posts, including teachers, relatives and friends of the young immigrants, as well as those involved in developing policy around immigration. The videos will be posted on the website, and Guggenheim will compile them into a documentary film.

“The documentary becomes a living, breathing petition,” Guggenheim told Yahoo News. “These DREAMers are putting everything on the line. When they come out like this, they are saying, ‘I’m ready to risk it all for what I believe.’” Immigration reform looms large as a legislative priority for President Barack Obama and for Republicans hoping to improve the party’s status among Hispanic voters.

Powell Jobs told Yahoo News the new project was an effort to harness the momentum around the issue and give visibility to the young people who would benefit from the Dream Act. “There needed to be a demystification—to put a face to these people, to hear the individual stories,” Powell Jobs said in one of the few interviews she has granted since Steve Jobs’ death in 2011.

Powell Jobs told Yahoo News her interest in the Dream Act had been sparked through College Track, an initiative she founded to help low-income and minority students attend college. Many of the students in the program are undocumented. "They’re our children’s friends. They are people we know. This is a huge national problem that needs resolution,” Powell Jobs said.

Read more: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/dream-now-steve-jobs-widow-launches-dream-act-140301593.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CYc.f5QXCUAbjXQtDMD

4 replies, 1296 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply ‘The Dream is Now’—Steve Jobs’ widow launches new Dream Act push (Original post)
onehandle Jan 2013 OP
Firebrand Gary Jan 2013 #1
alp227 Jan 2013 #2
Ken Burch Jan 2013 #3
Manifestor_of_Light Jan 2013 #4

Response to onehandle (Original post)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 03:48 PM

1. This is how we are going to get this done. Way to go, Powell!

I've also signed up to help Organizing for Action as well... We got to get this done and fast!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 10:45 PM

2. Of course its a yahoo article so expect the usual ignorant RWnut comments.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 11:16 PM

3. I'd be a little more impressed if she'd fight to bring all the Apple jobs back to the U.S.

that her supposedly "liberal" husband outsourced.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 01:28 AM

4. What about those American jobs that he sent to China?

He could have died with one billion instead of four billion dollars, and revitalized the American economy.

However, he's still dead, regardless of how many jobs and lives he destroyed, and how much money he was worth.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread