HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Israel set to re-elect Ne...

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 08:32 PM

Israel set to re-elect Netanyahu, shift further right

Source: Reuters

Israelis look set to elect Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to a third term with a smaller majority on Tuesday, pushing the Jewish State even further to the right, away from peace with Palestinians and towards a showdown with Iran.

Netanyahu has vowed to pursue the Jewish settlement of lands seized during the 1967 Middle East war if he stays in power, a policy that would put him at odds with Washington and deepened Israel's international isolation.

Polls predict Netanyahu's Likud party, which has forged an electoral pact with the ultra-nationalist Yisrael Beitenu group, will take the most seats in the parliamentary election.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/22/us-israel-election-idUSBRE90K0FP20130122

14 replies, 1973 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply Israel set to re-elect Netanyahu, shift further right (Original post)
michigandem58 Jan 2013 OP
rateyes Jan 2013 #1
hrmjustin Jan 2013 #2
R. Daneel Olivaw Jan 2013 #3
chuckstevens Jan 2013 #4
PatrynXX Jan 2013 #5
loudsue Jan 2013 #6
Selatius Jan 2013 #7
Katashi_itto Jan 2013 #8
Ken Burch Jan 2013 #9
oberliner Jan 2013 #10
Ken Burch Jan 2013 #11
Ken Burch Jan 2013 #12
bemildred Jan 2013 #13
musical_soul Jan 2013 #14

Response to michigandem58 (Original post)

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 08:51 PM

1. barf.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 09:06 PM

2. It is a shame.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 09:45 PM

3. Election predictions in a fibi netanyahu government.

More fences, more settlement building, more bellicose statements and threats of war with Iran, more apartheid.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 10:16 PM

4. Why?

Why does Netanyahu have "THE" math? President Obama needs to reign in this hawk and let him know that thr US will not just blindly support everything Israel wants. I don't want my tax dollars going to help starve Palestinian children in Gaza!

Reply to this post

Response to chuckstevens (Reply #4)

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 10:19 PM

5. Think he did that with Chuck

Chuck is not anti Israel. I just doesn't agree with everything.. only people who are anti Israel are the Republicans. Yes I know makes no sense but it does.

Reply to this post

Response to PatrynXX (Reply #5)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 12:47 AM

6. No . There are many dems who are anti-Israel now, too, BECAUSE of the

likes of Netanyahu and the Likud government. He's Dick Cheney on steroids. Israel is digging a hole and they want OUR tax dollars and OUR soldiers to die getting them out of it.

They must have Diebold voting machines. I can't imagine the Jewish people I know in the USA supporting Netanyahu.

Reply to this post

Response to loudsue (Reply #6)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 05:32 AM

7. The Labor Party in Israel is a pale shadow of its former self. Likud is powerful now.

Netanyahu has shown that he is decisive and strong on national defense over there. That's why he consistently wins against left wing parties like Labor. Labor actually does talk about the unpopular topic of settlement removal from the West Bank. Sometimes, telling the truth means you walk alone.

Reply to this post

Response to chuckstevens (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 06:34 AM

8. +100

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 09:39 AM

9. a smaller seat count, not a smaller majority.

Last edited Tue Jan 22, 2013, 05:26 PM - Edit history (1)

No party has EVER won a parliamentary majority in an Israeli general election(the closest any party got to one was Labor under Golda Meir in 1969, when they won 59 seats out of 120).

(on edit). I now see what Oberliner meant. I'd forgotten that Likud wasn't the largest-single party at the time it formed that government.

Reply to this post

Response to Ken Burch (Reply #9)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 11:18 AM

10. Wrong

Netanyahu had neither a majority nor a plurality in the last election.

Livni's party had the most votes and won the most seats in the last election.

Reply to this post

Response to oberliner (Reply #10)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 04:59 PM

11. (on edit)ok, I'd forgotten that Likud didn't even have a plurality after 2009.

(not sure why it matters so much to you, but fine, I've corrected the previous post.)

My main point was that that NO single party in Israeli history has EVER won a parliamentary majority(that is, more than half the seats in the Knesset).

And 2009 wasn't even the first time that the Israeli government WASN'T led by the single-largest party, btw.

Likud also formed a government after the 1981 election, even though Labor had won four more seats than Likud. Likud was able to do that because there were more parties in the Knesset that were wiling to support it as the party of government than were willing to work with Labor...largely due to the fact that Labor's leader at the time, Shimon Peres, was already considered one of the most untrustworthy people in all of Israeli politics).

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 05:29 PM

12. What's even more depressing is that the Yesh Atid party may become the official opposition.

Yesh Atid stands for almost nothing...and where it does take a position, it's often fatally contradictory(such as it's position supposedly supporting a two-state solution yet at the same time insisting on the preservation of the major settlement bloc...an insistence that everyone knows would make the creation of a viable Palestinian state impossible.

Yesh Atid's leader has nothing but personal charisma to offer...he's a studly-looking ex-IDF commander...beyond that, he's nothing but an empty suit who looks good on tv. It's never a good thing when Israeli politics gets closer to the American model.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 07:39 AM

13. Wrong again. nt

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 11:01 AM

14. Not a shift to the right, a shift toward safety.

The Hamas (who was elected by the Palestinians, and very much conservative so people will know) showered Israel with rockets and then got mad because Israel responded. What if that were us? Would you expect President Obama to play nice? I wouldn't.

Make no mistake.

Israel is the country that allows universal healthcare.

Israel is the country that only has six percent of their land for private ownership (which is too leftist for me, and I think that contributed to the whole problem of peace years ago).

Israel is the country that has gays in their military.

Israel has women's rights.

Israel (while needing a lot of help) actually treats Arab citizens better than Arab countries treat their own.

Palestine:
Elected an Islamic government. Do you really believe that gays, women, and other minorities have a lot of rights there? No.

They can't have any life because Palestinian "schools" teach them from day one to hate Jews.

I don't see how Israel can be labeled the bad guys when Palestine is one showering them with bombs.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread