HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Obama's Gay Rights Inaugu...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 04:16 PM

Obama's Gay Rights Inauguration Mention Makes History

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by OKNancy (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: www.mashable.com

Barack Obama made history Monday, when he became the first president to mention gay rights in an inaugural address. The socially progressive remark drew mixed reactions on Twitter, as some users applauded his words and other's found them out of place.

"It is now our generationís task to carry on what those pioneers began. For our journey is not complete until our wives, our mothers, and daughters can earn a living equal to their efforts. Our journey is not complete until our gay brothers and sisters are treated like anyone else under the law, for if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well."

Read more: http://mashable.com/2013/01/21/obama-gay-rights-inauguration/

Awesome. I have a gay nephew, and a gay brother in law. This makes me very happy that we are not inaugurating President Willard Romney today! The game truly had changed my friends!

4 replies, 904 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Obama's Gay Rights Inauguration Mention Makes History (Original post)
RetroGamer1971 Jan 2013 OP
Ezlivin Jan 2013 #1
Mortos Jan 2013 #2
RetroGamer1971 Jan 2013 #3
OKNancy Jan 2013 #4

Response to RetroGamer1971 (Original post)

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 04:25 PM

1. This. Is. The. Future.

I'm excited to see the progression of rights for the LGBT community.

It's a pity that we should have done it much, much earlier. But, hey, we're getting there!

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 04:27 PM

2. Barack Obama is the President for all Americans

...not just some. I am extremely thankful that I sat down with my children today and watched Barack Hussein Obama sworn in and not Willard Mitt Romney. I am thankful that my gay friends and family are supported by our president and those that would shun them or assign them second class citizenship are on the decline and less able to implement their bigoted agendas.

Thank you President Obama.

Response to Mortos (Reply #2)

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 04:30 PM

3. K&R

+1000!

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 04:47 PM

4. duplicate topic

Please add this article to the previous post on this topic here: http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014375778

Statement of Purpose for Latest Breaking News Forum

Post the latest news from reputable mainstream news websites and blogs. Important news of national interest only.
No analysis or opinion pieces. No duplicates. News stories must have been published within the last 12 hours.
Use the published title of the story as the title of the discussion thread.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=about&forum=1014