HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Immigration plans from Ru...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:45 PM

Immigration plans from Rubio, Obama are very similar

Source: Sacramento Bee

The White House has said Sen. Marco Rubio's immigration plans, which could legalize the status of some of those unlawfully in the country, "bode well for a productive, bipartisan debate."

A reason for that optimism: The Florida Republican's ideas and comments closely mirror those of President Barack Obama in a 2011 policy speech in El Paso, Texas.

"This is the Rubio-Obama immigration plan," Mark Krikorian, head of the conservative Center for Immigration Studies, told Mother Jones.

"There's nothing substantive in Rubio's proposal that wouldn't immediately be agreed to by President Obama," he said, noting that President George W. Bush proposed a similar plan in 2006 that many congressional Republicans helped kill.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/17/5121073/analysis-immigration-plans-from.html

This will be interesting to watch. With Rubio essentially introducing Obama's immigration bill as his own, it will be interesting to see how Republicans act? The in fighting should be fun to watch.

5 replies, 1405 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Immigration plans from Rubio, Obama are very similar (Original post)
TomCADem Jan 2013 OP
bluestateguy Jan 2013 #1
obama2terms Jan 2013 #4
okaawhatever Jan 2013 #2
DallasNE Jan 2013 #5
Granny M Jan 2013 #3

Response to TomCADem (Original post)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:48 PM

1. As soon as Obama embraces it Rubio will back away from it

Just watch.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to bluestateguy (Reply #1)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 07:53 AM

4. Yeah I agree, that's what they do

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:23 AM

2. I think he needs to kick Rubio to the curb. GOP needs latinos

and Florida. They want to give rubio all the credit for it. Alot of Latinos are catholic and pro-life, they want to pick up that demographic. Obama needs to push his proposal. Rubio will be forced to sign it or alienate his constituency. Rubio is in a bad place and Obama needs to exploit it. Divide his constituency. He's only got Latinos and TPartiers. Knock one of those out from under him.

Reply to this post

Response to okaawhatever (Reply #2)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:26 AM

5. Where Are The Details

Beware of the smoke and mirrors. I will not trust it until I see the details for myself. So far I have only seen the views of what others think are contained in the proposal rather than the actual proposal. Sometimes things are there in theory but with so many obstacles that as a practical matter it does not exist in practice.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 03:37 AM

3. "bode well for a productive, bipartisan debate." ??

On what planet would that be? As soon as Obama is for it, the rethugs are against it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread