HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » USB sticks infect two pow...

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 07:25 AM

USB sticks infect two power plants with malware

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by OKNancy (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: TG Daily

A US power plant was recently hit by a virus thanks to an infected USB stick, a report from the Department of Homeland Security has revealed.

The virus, a Trojan used for identity theft, was unwittingly introduced by a technician working for a third party contractor, and kept the power plant offline for three weeks.

"When the IT employee inserted the drive into a computer with up-to-date antivirus software, the antivirus software produced three positive hits," says the DHS's Computer Emergency Readiness Team (ICS-CERT) in a report.

-snip-

USB sticks are a notoriously simple way for attackers to gain entry to industrial control systems. Both the Stuxnet worm and the Flame malware, reportedly developed by the US and Israel to attack systems in Iran, relied on USB drives to gain access.

Read more: http://www.tgdaily.com/security-brief/68813-usb-sticks-infect-two-power-plants-with-malware

4 replies, 970 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply USB sticks infect two power plants with malware (Original post)
UnrepentantLiberal Jan 2013 OP
hobbit709 Jan 2013 #1
FleetwoodMac Jan 2013 #2
Crowman1979 Jan 2013 #3
OKNancy Jan 2013 #4

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Original post)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 07:30 AM

1. Like I told TPTB where my wife used to work after I straightened out her computer.

"I could crap a better security system than this."

That was just before they got hit by 3 different virus attacks.

Out of 150 computers in their network, 149 were infected. Guess which one wasn't.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 07:50 AM

2. Tested 82 new malware files against 40 antivirus products & none were detected!

I was reading the source report and this particular paragraph shocked the heck out of me.

A recent study by University of Tel Aviv for Imperva comes to that conclusion, at least with regard to new viruses. The research team tested 82 new malware files against 40 antivirus products and found that the antivirus programs detected exactly none of them, TechWorld reports.

Even after giving the antivirus software additional chances at one-week intervals, the best of the antivirus products still took at least three weeks to detect the viruses, according to the report. And of the batch tested, Imperva said that two free programs, Avast and Emisoft, performed the best, along with McAfee antivirus.

Wtf?

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 07:57 AM

3. This is why certain systems should have a closed network w/physical shutdown capability.

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 08:15 AM

4. duplicate topic