HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Unmasking the NRA's Inner...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 10:56 PM

Unmasking the NRA's Inner Circle The NRA's shadowy leaders include the CEO who sells Bushmaster

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Rhiannon12866 (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Mother Jones

EXCLUSIVE: Unmasking the NRA's Inner Circle
The NRA's shadowy leaders include the CEO who sells Bushmaster assault rifles and a top director who lives in Newtown.
óBy Frank Smyth | Wed Jan. 16, 2013 3:06 AM PST

The resurgent debate over gun control has put a spotlight on the hardline leaders of the National Rifle Association. In the wake of the massacre in Newtown, Connecticut, executive vice president Wayne LaPierre delivered a full-throated rejection of gun control and called for more firearms in schools, while David Keene, the group's president, predicted the failure of any new assault weapons ban introduced in Congress. The two NRA figureheads purported to speak for more than 4 million American gun owners, though the group's membership may in fact be smaller.

But whatever its true size, today's NRA, widely considered to be disproportionately influential in politics, operates more like a corporation or politburo than a typical nonprofit or lobbying organization. Its 76 board directors and 10 executive officers keep a grip on power through elections in which ordinary grassroots members appear to have little say.

The NRA leadership is known as much for its organizational secrecy as its absolutist interpretation of the Second Amendment. That may be why, until now, little has been known about some of its most powerful insiders. They sit on the NRA board of directors' nine-member Nominating Committee, which, despite ballots distributed annually to legions of NRA members, closely controls who can be elected to the NRA board. Mother Jones has uncovered key details about the current Nominating Committee:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/01/nra-board-newtown-bushmaster

Read more: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/01/nra-board-newtown-bushmaster

We should know all there is to know about the inner working of this organization.

That's one way to bring them down.

14 replies, 1764 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply Unmasking the NRA's Inner Circle The NRA's shadowy leaders include the CEO who sells Bushmaster (Original post)
BVictor1 Jan 2013 OP
FailureToCommunicate Jan 2013 #1
ReRe Jan 2013 #2
marew Jan 2013 #4
ReRe Jan 2013 #5
jonthebru Jan 2013 #3
defacto7 Jan 2013 #11
Third Doctor Jan 2013 #6
SoapBox Jan 2013 #7
geomon666 Jan 2013 #8
glinda Jan 2013 #9
quakerboy Jan 2013 #10
defacto7 Jan 2013 #12
samsingh Jan 2013 #13
Rhiannon12866 Jan 2013 #14

Response to BVictor1 (Original post)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:11 PM

1. "Meet the NRA's Board of Directors"

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:17 PM

2. Watch Jon Stewart tonight!!!

Wow! Yesssssss, we need to learn the inner workings of the NRA. To start with, are they a Non-Profit Organization? Someone answer that for me, please & thank you. And thanks BVictor1 for this article from Mother Jones!

Response to ReRe (Reply #2)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:36 PM

4. Saw that!

What a slimy group they are! Unfrigging believable!

Response to marew (Reply #4)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:58 PM

5. I'm going to have to DVD and....

.... make a transcript of it. It was so windy and twisted I can't remember it all. I think I learned more from Jon Stewart than I did by this article in Mother Jones. If they are a non-profit org, why is it they are writing legislation for members of Congress? You know what the laughing never-ending joke is in DC? They legislate a gazillion laws, but few of the laws are actually enforced. It just all seems like so much Kabuki theater. And then on the other hand, the NRA has more or less made the ITF null and void! Out of here for now..

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:20 PM

3. So, in reality, it has nothing to do

with the Second Amendment of The United States Constitution.

It has to do with capitalistic, profits and the exploitation of brainwashed low information citizens.

The key to the average person, myself and probably you as well, is to strive for limiting lobbyist bribery and threats to our elected legislatures.

The anti-corruption act has the potential to control the influence of money over our elected representatives.
http://anticorruptionact.org/

One effort to eliminate the evil influence of money in politics with a Constitutional amendment.
https://movetoamend.org/

I listen to progressive talk radio as I work. It seems a pattern that the rabid gun owner, second amendment defender has a well rehearsed rant that does not in any way offer compromise. We may succeed in regulating the access to high output firearms from those who should not own them, but it won't be easy.

Response to jonthebru (Reply #3)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 01:02 AM

11. You are right on the money...

Good comment and you're right, it will not be easy. That's an understatement.

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 12:22 AM

6. This does not surprise me at all.

This has nothing to do with rights but profit. This is why the NRA could give a damn about who is killed or injured as long as a certain Corp is making money.

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 12:37 AM

7. NOW we're talk'n!

AND, bring on an IRS investigation into the finances!

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 12:39 AM

8. Good, we need to start outing these people.

Make them public.

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 12:41 AM

9. K & R n/t

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 01:02 AM

10. Wow. I knew there were nutters there

But if this website is to believed there are a lot of mercenaries and nazis in there as well.

http://meetthenra.org

Response to quakerboy (Reply #10)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 01:22 AM

12. Now that's a great site....

I love the "sort by" page. Lot's of info there.

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 01:31 AM

13. kick

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 03:24 AM

14. Locking, sorry, but this is analysis/background rather than breaking news.

Please consider reposting in Politics 2013, GD or Good Reads, would be great there. Thanks!