HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Teachers Union Explains W...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 03:50 PM

Teachers Union Explains Why It Supports Obama’s Guns In Schools Plan But Not NRA’s

Source: TPM

EVAN MCMORRIS-SANTORO JANUARY 16, 2013, 2:17 PM 5339
The National Education Association, the nation’s largest teacher’s union, is wholeheartedly behind President Obama’s proposal to fund more armed school resource officers as part of his comprehensive gun violence package announced Wednesday.

The full-throated endorsement came just a day after the NEA released a statement rejecting the National Rifle Association’s proposal to put more guns in schools following the Newtown, Conn., shooting.

NRA supporters have said the White House plan is similar to the NRA’s. So why the opposition to one plan and support for the other? TPM asked NEA Director of Advocacy and Outreach Kim Anderson to explain.

“There’s a huge distinction between the NRA proposal and what the administration has proposed,” she said. “The NRA proposed arming educators and volunteer security guards and private security personnel. The school resource officer program is an actual program that was funded a number of years ago by Joe Biden’s bill to put law enforcement — actual police offers — in schools after they’ve received adequate training.”

-snip-

Read more: http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/01/nea-nra-school-guns-obama.php?ref=fpa

3 replies, 1485 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Teachers Union Explains Why It Supports Obama’s Guns In Schools Plan But Not NRA’s (Original post)
DonViejo Jan 2013 OP
Jokerman Jan 2013 #1
HockeyMom Jan 2013 #2
Tx4obama Jan 2013 #3

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 03:58 PM

1. We just added an armed police officer to our high school.

I'm still not fully convinced of the need or effectiveness of such a move but I definitely don't want teachers or private security guards with guns on school grounds.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 03:59 PM

2. I've worked in both NY (after 9/11) and Florida Public Schools

that had actual Armend, Trained, and Vetted Law Enforcement Officiers in schools. That is a far cry from PRIVATE Armed Security, or HORROR, Armed Teachers and Staff.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 04:00 PM

3. President Obama’s Call For Cops In Schools Echoes Clinton

President Obama’s Call For Cops In Schools Echoes Clinton
Article here: http://www.democraticunderground.com/1251276297

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread