HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Proposals expected from O...

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 11:30 PM

Proposals expected from Obama to curb gun violence

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Tx4obama (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Yahoo News

President Barack Obama will unveil proposals Wednesday to curb gun violence, his response to the December massacre of 26 students and teachers at their elementary school in Newtown, Conn. The plan is to be based on recommendations from Vice President Joe Biden, Obama's point man for producing gun control measures to present to Congress.

Some of the proposals will require congressional action and will face an uphill battle from lawmakers, particularly in the Republican-led House. The National Rifle Association says it will fight any legislative attempts to limit access to guns and ammunition.

Obama could put other proposals in place by executive order.

Read more: http://news.yahoo.com/proposals-expected-obama-curb-gun-violence-200009709.html

I was disappointed to find no funding for additional research into links between psychoactive drugs and violence & depression. This is hardware based only.

5 replies, 538 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to cbrer (Original post)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 11:37 PM

1. I expect some move to improve the data in the NICS

Universal background checks don't mean anything if the database is missing tens of millions of records that should be in it.

Consequently I expect some move to make sure that persons adjudicated prohibited to purchase actually get their records in the database. And some directives to increase criminal reporting which is estimated to miss over 20 million records. I also expect some move to get states to report all records of users/addicts of controlled substances. There are an estimated 14 million missing records for that category

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 11:39 PM

2. Whew, there are some gun wackos at that link. I don't think those go far enough.

But, it's probably not politically feasible to go further.

It is important to change how we view guns, just like cigarettes, fur coats, hunting exotic animals, discrimination, swastikas, etc. That's the real key, next to changing mix on Supreme Court.

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 11:41 PM

3. "links between psychoactive drugs and violence & depression"... Forbid that be discussed, hits

to close to home for many that popped pills into their own young ones cheerios just because their kids couldn't sit still in kindergarten and they hadn't the time to be bothered with it.

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 11:44 PM

4. Of course the NRA is going to fight any legislation

They represent .01% of Americans.

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 11:46 PM

5. Locking, sorry. LBN Dupe. Please continue discussion on LBN link below