HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Suspect shoots Galt (Cali...

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 11:18 PM

Suspect shoots Galt (Calif.) officer to death, kills self

Source: Associated Press

A police officer in the Sacramento County city of Galt was shot to death Tuesday by a suspect who police say then fired at a second officer before shooting and killing himself.

Officer Kevin Tonn, 35, was fatally shot around 11:30 a.m. during a physical altercation with the suspect, Galt police Lt. Jim Uptegrove said during an afternoon news conference. The officer was shot once and died after being taken to a hospital, Uptegrove said.

Tonn and other officers were responding to call about a burglary when a witness pointed to a suspect, and Tonn went to question the suspect, police said.

The suspect shot Tonn as the officer approached him, Uptegrove said.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/Suspect-shoots-Galt-officer-to-death-kills-self-4196607.php

17 replies, 2291 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 17 replies Author Time Post
Reply Suspect shoots Galt (Calif.) officer to death, kills self (Original post)
Newsjock Jan 2013 OP
wtmusic Jan 2013 #1
Mz Pip Jan 2013 #2
harmonicon Jan 2013 #6
Why Syzygy Jan 2013 #3
harmonicon Jan 2013 #7
Why Syzygy Jan 2013 #9
AtheistCrusader Jan 2013 #10
Why Syzygy Jan 2013 #14
harmonicon Jan 2013 #11
Why Syzygy Jan 2013 #13
harmonicon Jan 2013 #15
Why Syzygy Jan 2013 #16
harmonicon Jan 2013 #17
samsingh Jan 2013 #4
Ecumenist Jan 2013 #5
AverageJoe90 Jan 2013 #8
nikto Jan 2013 #12

Response to Newsjock (Original post)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 11:24 PM

1. If only the officer had a gun, he would...wha...

nevermind.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to wtmusic (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 11:44 PM

2. Beat me to it.

If only he'd had a hammer. Those are just as deadly as guns.

Reply to this post

Response to wtmusic (Reply #1)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 04:26 AM

6. +1

Yep... my thoughts exactly. I simply thought this scenario was impossible. Two people with guns, and the one intent on committing a crime gets the upper hand? BUT HOW?! I thought guns were magical objects that could look into the hearts of men and determine their intentions. I guess I have to go back to wikipedia and read the entry again.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 12:06 AM

3. Tragic mistake ..

approaching a suspect without taking precautions. Sad.

Reply to this post

Response to Why Syzygy (Reply #3)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 04:28 AM

7. What precautions? Like, being a trained police officer, maybe? (nt)

Reply to this post

Response to harmonicon (Reply #7)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 04:43 AM

9. Like

walking straight up to an identified suspect. He failed somewhere along the way to take necessary precaution.

It could be his police training was overshadowed by his long service as a medic and fireman, where his life was not in danger.

Reply to this post

Response to Why Syzygy (Reply #9)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 04:47 AM

10. Eyewitness reports are garbled and suggest maybe not, but my first question was

was he shot with his own service weapon? It happens, on average, to about 20 officers a year, sadly. Weapons retention is still a big deal in this day and age.

But again, the eyewitness reports suggest maybe the suspect had his own weapon from the outset.

Reply to this post

Response to AtheistCrusader (Reply #10)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 08:58 AM

14. That's a definite possibility.

It had crossed my mind. When we see cops in videos, and what not, they are very protective of themselves. They don't make mistakes. They go to extreme measures to avoid getting shot. That's what makes this so tragic. In a split second this young man made a decision that led to a an out of control scuffle that ended his life. According to the article, he is the first cop to die in the line of duty in that town.

Reply to this post

Response to Why Syzygy (Reply #9)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 04:59 AM

11. And you're one to criticize, because ... ? Do you train police officers or something? (nt)

Reply to this post

Response to harmonicon (Reply #11)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 08:52 AM

13. Who says

I'm criticizing? You, the critic? You're just jumping me because I refuse to participate in mob mentality.

I have a son this young man's age, who also puts his life on the line in order to protect the lives of others.
If something happened to him, I like to think someone besides me would give a damn.

I'd like to hear your justification for not giving a damn about this young person. I am the only one on the thread who thought about him, rather than my own political agenda.

Sometimes liberals make me sick. We have the moral high ground, compared to the compassion challenged nut wingers. And then we go and act just as stupid as they do.

Reply to this post

Response to Why Syzygy (Reply #13)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 10:07 AM

15. Your compassion is the blame the victim?!

You just assume that this person who actually puts themselves in such a situation professionally didn't know what they were doing. You say they made a mistake. I don't think you're in a place to say that. I don't see how blaming the victim is compassionate at all.

Reply to this post

Response to harmonicon (Reply #15)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 10:58 AM

16. Are you kidding me?

I'm not *blaming* the victim. He MADE A MISTAKE. That isn't blame. It only takes a split second to misjudge a situation, and end up in trouble. Officers are TRAINED to avoid making mistakes. Otherwise, just give them a firearm and throw them out there? No!! They are trained to save their lives. The shooter was not out randomly shooting cops. We've seen things like that, and there's no training to avoid something like that.

Look. You obviously refuse to take an unbiased look at the situation. There's really no point in taking this further.

Reply to this post

Response to Why Syzygy (Reply #16)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 12:11 PM

17. What bias am I bringing into this?

I responded to your accusation that this guy made a mistake, and would have been fine otherwise. As you were neither there nor seem to have actual experience in such a situation, I have no idea how you can make that call, yet you claim your blaming of the victim is compassion.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 12:32 AM

4. another gun tragedy. the victim was a trained, armed officer in this case. this is what the nra

continues to support with their stupid self serving suggestions.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 01:05 AM

5. That's right about 30 miles from me. A Damn shame. nmn

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 04:41 AM

8. Such an ironic name for this city.....

Also, R.I.P., officer Tonn.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 06:32 AM

12. If that man hadn't had a gun...

...He wouldn't have been able to shoot himself, ending the crisis.

See? See?

Guns are the answer.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread