HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » American Airlines custome...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 09:21 PM

American Airlines customer-service agents narrowly reject union representation

Source: Washington Post

DALLAS — Customer-service agents at American Airlines narrowly rejected a union’s bid to represent them in collective bargaining with the company.

The airport and reservations-center agents voted against representation by the Communications Workers of America by 3,052 to 2,902, or 51 percent to 49 percent. About 76 percent of eligible workers voted, according to results released Tuesday.

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/american-airlines-customer-service-agents-narrowly-reject-union-representation/2013/01/15/9d2bb0ee-5f54-11e2-9dc9-bca76dd777b8_story.html

I voted no.

17 replies, 2101 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to mgc1961 (Original post)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 09:44 PM

1. why did u vote no?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to lunasun (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 10:36 PM

4. Here's my reason in a nutshell.

Some of my vote is based on internal politics with regard to the former TWA agents we acquired during their third trip to bankruptcy court in 2001. At least some of them see the union as an avenue to having their full TWA seniority recognized by American whom they deeply resent for not giving them equal footing with AA agents.

The primary reason, however, is the union is pretty much powerless to stop job losses. That is my primary concern. If they can't address that most basic element of my employment I don't see much benefit to paying dues for the next 10-12 years or more.

Reply to this post

Response to mgc1961 (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 11:09 PM

5. Your opinions are very short sighted..........

.....A union provides many more benefits whether or not they can prevent furloughs. It can negotiate for better pay, working conditions, health and retirement benefits. You receive representation should a manager try to discipline you. Those are only a few of the good things it offers. I've belonged to an airline union for 33 years and it has been extremely beneficial and more than justified my dues. I'd tell you more but dinner is on the table.

Reply to this post

Response to Capt.Rocky300 (Reply #5)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 11:24 PM

6. I was with CWA and it did seem better than what I would have been able to negotiate on my own

plus group protection as you said from any rogue management = dues worth it and more but the
TWA merge sounds messy and cant comment as no experience

Reply to this post

Response to lunasun (Reply #6)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 11:53 PM

9. The TWA merger is a long done deal...

any former TWA employee who thinks that bringing in the union will change their seniority status this far out is just dreaming.

Reply to this post

Response to Capt.Rocky300 (Reply #9)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 11:57 PM

10. The same ones wanting their seniority also favor the USAir merger.

I think they should be careful what the wish for since, for the time being, they are pretty low on the totem pole. Redundancy layoffs will probably hit them pretty hard.

Reply to this post

Response to Capt.Rocky300 (Reply #5)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 11:52 PM

8. My eyesight is plenty good since I got my first pair of bifocals last fall.

Reply to this post

Response to mgc1961 (Reply #8)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 12:07 AM

11. Since you have your new bifocals....

I highly recommend a book for you to read. It may be hard to find but it is well worth it. The title is "Confessions of a Union Buster". It is written by Marty Jay Levitt. He details how he went from being a very successful lawyer/consultant for companies trying to prevent their employees from organizing to seeing how destructive his efforts were to working people. In it you will find many of the dirty tricks used by A.A. management to get you to vote against your own best interests.

Reply to this post

Response to Capt.Rocky300 (Reply #11)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 12:12 AM

13. I didn't cast a vote based on what management said.

I cast a vote based on my experience.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 11:25 PM

7. “the union is pretty much powerless to stop job losses”

Actually, a union forces fat and happy, bloated CEOs to sacrifice some corporate profits (and in some cases, personal earnings) in favor of paying a living wage (what most call a middle class income (40k to 80k/yr)). There is a myth that somehow, those with massive wealth at the top are somehow able to create great jobs for others by having more wealth. The last decade, and history in general hasn't bore this out. That is not to say there aren't some great Americans who make it rich and then endeavor to create awesome jobs as a direct result... but those cases are far and away anomalous to the typical hording habits of the super rich.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 06:36 AM

16. Now YOU are powerless on EVERYTHING job related

Seniority, health insurance, pension or 401K, work hours,... Without a union, the company can do anything it wants. That means fire for no reason. That is a JOB LOSS too.

Some people just vote against their best interests!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 09:58 PM

2. I also would like to know why you voted no. You must have a reason.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 10:25 PM

3. What the hell were you thinking????

The CEO has a CONTRACT. Why shouldn't you????

Reply to this post

Response to Omaha Steve (Reply #3)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 12:08 AM

12. Exactly!

I LAUGHED when I saw that they rejected organization.

How short sighted, narrow view! AND, they "want" to merge with USAir? AKA, America West! America West is still in charge ya know! And that the Flight Attendants STILL do not have a common contract (hint! The company for years now, has done nothing but come to the table with the same old demands...fully knowing that the Flight Attendant groups would never agree to what they want!)

America West was one of THE lowest of the low ball carriers. In the beginning, if in Phoenix and if you were a "cross-utilized, Customer Service Representative" (you were working 5 days per week: Day 1, as a Flight Attendant , Day 2 and 3 were a ground shift in some department and days 4 and 5, again as a FA on a 2-day trip)....the wage?

$1000 per month, GROSS pay...and $5 when on the layover. It was primitive and you lived in poverty. It took years and several votes to get a union in (the original management was RABIDLY anti-union). You were taking home about $750 PER month.

They are not much better off now.

Merging? And wanting to merge? Ya, good luck with that...AND with no representation.

Reply to this post

Response to SoapBox (Reply #12)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 12:24 AM

14. Oh, we used to call it "Unfortunately, Still Allegheny In Reality"

When they merged with Allegheny because Allegheny was rock-bottom in customer service.

Reply to this post

Response to Omaha Steve (Reply #3)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 01:39 AM

15. Because contracts are only important..

for job creators. Just another example of people voting against their interests.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 07:24 AM

17. somebody please... put Crandall Airlines out of its misery

do the world a favor

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread