HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » NY seals 1st state gun la...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 09:35 AM

NY seals 1st state gun laws since Newtown massacre

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by OKNancy (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Houston Chronicle

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) New York lawmakers agreed to pass the toughest gun control law in the nation and the first since the Newtown, Conn., school shooting, calling for a tougher assault weapons ban and provisions to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill who make threats.

"This is a scourge on society," Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Monday night, six days after making gun control a centerpiece of his progressive agenda in his State of the State address. The bipartisan effort was fueled by the Newton tragedy that took the lives of 20 first graders and six educators. "At what point do you say, 'No more innocent loss of life'?"

The measure also calls for restrictions on ammunition and the sale of guns. It is expected to pass Tuesday.

"This is not about taking anyone's rights away," said Sen. Jeffrey Klein, a Bronx Democrat. "It's about a safe society ... today we are setting the mark for the rest of the county to do what's right."

Read more: http://www.chron.com/news/us/article/NY-seals-1st-state-gun-laws-since-Newtown-massacre-4194149.php

4 replies, 720 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply NY seals 1st state gun laws since Newtown massacre (Original post)
IDemo Jan 2013 OP
sinkingfeeling Jan 2013 #1
pennylane100 Jan 2013 #2
tavalon Jan 2013 #3
OKNancy Jan 2013 #4

Response to IDemo (Original post)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 09:52 AM

1. Congrats!

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 09:53 AM

2. I think that will disarm half the New York City police department.

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 10:08 AM

3. Somebody on this very sight told me this wouldn't happen

It did and it will continue to throughout the nation and Obama is going to do an end run around the useless Congress and the NRA. I'm really happy to be right this time.

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 10:26 AM

4. duplicate topic