HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Boy guilty of murdering h...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 02:03 AM

Boy guilty of murdering his neo-Nazi father

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Tx4obama (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Los Angeles Times

By Phil Willon, Los Angeles Times

January 14, 2013, 10:27 p.m.

A Riverside County judge on Monday found a 12-year-old boy responsible for murdering his neo-Nazi father, taking a swipe at both the family and social workers for failing to protect the troubled youngster before he felt compelled to reach for a gun.

"There were so many warning signs,'' Superior Court Judge Jean P. Leonard said from the bench.

But the judge said the evidence showed that the Riverside boy, who was 10 years old when he pulled the trigger, possessed the mental capacity to know that killing his father was wrong. He plotted the murder and then tried to conceal his guilt by stashing the .357 magnum revolver under his mattress, Leonard noted.

Leonard found the boy guilty of second-degree murder and of using a gun while committing a felony.

Read more: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-neo-nazi-guilty-20130115,0,2412218.story

I really have problems with finding a 10-year-old boy raised in such a situation capable of making decisions in the context of knowing right and wrong - I suppose that is nullification, but at the very least, I hope this judge will not choose to imprison him until he is 23. I particularly find Judge Leonard's statement that "This is not a naive little boy unaware of the ways of the world" to be of questionable determination. I am really disappointed that the county prosecutors thought it was necessary to try and judge this boy to achieve justice.

3 replies, 601 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Boy guilty of murdering his neo-Nazi father (Original post)
ellisonz Jan 2013 OP
elleng Jan 2013 #1
ellisonz Jan 2013 #3
Tx4obama Jan 2013 #2

Response to ellisonz (Original post)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 02:11 AM

1. You're not the only one who questions the possible culpability of children of such an age.

Perhaps there's evidence in the record to support the judge's finding.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to elleng (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 02:14 AM

3. The public of course is not privy to all the information in the case of a minor...

...however, what is known, would suggest that this child was subject to systematic and enduring neglect and abuse.

Response to ellisonz (Original post)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 02:14 AM

2. Locking, sorry. LBN duplicate. Please continue discussion on LBN link below