HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Double trouble: House GOP...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 09:46 AM

Double trouble: House GOP eyes default, shutdown

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by OKNancy (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Politico

By JIM VANDEHEI, MIKE ALLEN and JAKE SHERMAN

House Republicans are seriously entertaining dramatic steps, including default or shutting down the government, to force President Barack Obama to finally cut spending by the end of March.

The idea of allowing the country to default by refusing to increase the debt limit is getting more widespread and serious traction among House Republicans than people realize, though GOP leaders think shutting down the government is the much more likely outcome of the spending fights this winter.

“I think it is possible that we would shut down the government to make sure President Obama understands that we’re serious,” House Republican Conference Chairwoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers of Washington state told us. “We always talk about whether or not we’re going to kick the can down the road. I think the mood is that we’ve come to the end of the road.”

Republican leadership officials, in a series of private meetings and conversations this past week, warned that the White House, much less the broader public, doesn’t understand how hard it will be to talk restive conservatives off the fiscal ledge. To the vast majority of House Republicans, it is far riskier long term to pile up new debt than it is to test the market and economic reaction of default or closing down the government.

-snip-

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/behind-the-curtain-house-gop-eyes-default-shutdown-86116.html#ixzz2HxetKlL4

13 replies, 1599 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply Double trouble: House GOP eyes default, shutdown (Original post)
DonViejo Jan 2013 OP
Robb Jan 2013 #1
movonne Jan 2013 #10
LiberalEsto Jan 2013 #2
Vietnameravet Jan 2013 #3
The Velveteen Ocelot Jan 2013 #4
Angry Dragon Jan 2013 #5
sheshe2 Jan 2013 #6
n2doc Jan 2013 #7
Paulie Jan 2013 #8
illegaloperation Jan 2013 #9
1StrongBlackMan Jan 2013 #11
heaven05 Jan 2013 #12
OKNancy Jan 2013 #13

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 09:48 AM

1. A bullet in the foot always wins the race!

Go for it, guys!

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Robb (Reply #1)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 10:47 AM

10. 50% (or maybe more) should be removed

from their jobs..they are not capable of doing their jobs...

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 09:51 AM

2. Another day, another tantrum nt

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 09:51 AM

3. These people are cancerous!

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 09:57 AM

4. That worked so well for them the last time they did it.

It cost them the 1996 election. Idiots.

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 10:04 AM

5. TERRORISTS ........... there is no other word for them

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 10:10 AM

6. They sure have reached the end of the road.

Now it's time to push the extinct GOP over the cliff,once and for all.

We can eulogize them, after they hit the bottom. Or Not!

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 10:11 AM

7. House has to write the budget. It's in the Constitution.

Perhaps we should have an amendment that says that the white house writes the federal budget? After all, the House doesn't seem to want that job.

Hey Boehner, how about providing some concrete suggestions on how to cut the budget? Too chicken to do so?

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 10:17 AM

8. Please proceed

Stop paying those weapons contractors for a couple weeks. And no more passports for a while. And payroll checks to congress.

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 10:24 AM

9. I don't see a problem.

It's political suicide for Republicans. We just need to make sure that fellow Americans know who is responsible.

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 10:50 AM

11. This, alone, ...

. House Speaker John Boehner “may need a shutdown just to get it out of their system,” said a top GOP leadership adviser. “We might need to do that for member-management purposes — so they have an endgame and can show their constituents they’re fighting.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/behind-the-curtain-house-gop-eyes-default-shutdown-86116.html#ixzz2Hxu53kAK

In a sane world, would disqualify the gop, or at least those seeking "an end-game", from further participation in governance, because when your leadership just comes out and says, "it's not about the good of the country, but rather, decision-making solely based on self-promotion", than that should be the end of your career.

Further, I can't believe that every media outlet isn't running boehner's statement on an endless loop! Well ... actually, I can.

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 10:55 AM

12. good

shut it down!!!!!!!!! Hell nothing was done because of these racist, reactionary mf's for the last four years. Anyone with any sense knows who is the culprit in our dysfunctional government. Our POTUS is still trying to work with these fools!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. They won't have it? Let em shut it down, only they will be responsible for the outcome. Teabaggers? Tell em to shove it. I am really sick and tired of these clowns holding my progress(color that the country's progress) hostage to a bunch of right wing pox carriers infecting the whole of my country. When are we the people ever going to say enough to these clowns disguised as leaders??!! Tar and feather them and run them out of town.

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 11:53 AM

13. duplicate