HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Apple Cuts Orders for iPh...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 09:21 AM

Apple Cuts Orders for iPhone Parts

Source: The Wall Street Journal.

By JURO OSAWA

Apple Inc. ... has cut its component orders for the iPhone 5 due to weaker-than-expected demand, people familiar with the situation said Monday, indicating sales of the latest smartphone haven't been as strong as previously anticipated.

Apple's orders for iPhone 5 screens for the January-March quarter, for example, have dropped to roughly half of what the company had previously planned to order, the people said.

The move comes as the company has been facing greater challenges from Samsung Electronics Co. and other makers of smartphones powered by Google Inc.'s ... Android operating system. While Apple has set the agenda for the smartphone market since it released its first iPhone in 2007, South Korea's Samsung, which sells many Android-based models at various price points, has already overtaken the U.S. company as the world's largest smartphone vendor by market share. Demand is also growing for inexpensive smartphones from Chinese makers such as Huawei Technologies Co.

In the 2012 third quarter, Apple held 14.6% of world-wide smartphone shipments, down from a peak of 23% in the fourth quarter of 2011 and the first quarter of 2012, according to IDC.

Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324235104578241051730364998.html

I need to point out that although I do not own any shares of Apple, I do have a limit order in place to buy shares at a much lower price than the stock is trading at now. Thus I do have a financial interest in this news. I do not own shares of any of the other companies mentioned in this article. I have no plans to buy shares of any other company mentioned in this article.

I own some Macintosh computers, and I own some PCs. I am not a fanboi. The point to posting this news at LBN is that, because of Apple's size, this development is sure to have an effect on the stock market.

8 replies, 1418 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Apple Cuts Orders for iPhone Parts (Original post)
mahatmakanejeeves Jan 2013 OP
tridim Jan 2013 #1
Franker65 Jan 2013 #2
jsr Jan 2013 #3
leftyohiolib Jan 2013 #6
RedstDem Jan 2013 #8
cstanleytech Jan 2013 #4
Javaman Jan 2013 #5
PasadenaTrudy Jan 2013 #7

Response to mahatmakanejeeves (Original post)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 09:36 AM

1. Sounds like it's time to release the iPhone 6.

Doesn't matter if it's ready, or innovative, or competitive with the rest of the market. Hell, add $100 to the price, the fanbois will stand in line for days.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 10:00 AM

2. Considering economic conditions, this was surely inevitable

I was really surprised people didn't start switching to alternative smartphones. The iPhone has not really progressed technologically over the past few years and seems to be stagnating. And look at the price tag. Considering the state of people's wallets these days, surely the price is becoming prohibitive for many.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 10:00 AM

3. iFatigue is setting in

Reply to this post

Response to jsr (Reply #3)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 10:26 AM

6. iFatique that's clever , im hoping people are coming to their iSenses and realizing

that just b/c it's new doesnt mean you have to have it

Reply to this post

Response to jsr (Reply #3)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 11:03 AM

8. Lol

Ifatigue...ha ha, that's good.
it's true, once apple went after Samsung for stealing what they stole from the guy before, I really don't want anymore crApple products.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 10:02 AM

4. Sure it will probably have some impact but I dont think it will have much because

I dont believe its a lack of money being spent on phones that causing there to be lackluster sales for apple but rather there is finally actual competition from other cellphone manufactures thus giving people more choices unlike when the iphone first came out.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 10:12 AM

5. There will be a slight uptick in sales once T-Mobile starts offering them. nt

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 11:01 AM

7. I'm holding on

to my iPhone 4 as long as I can. Updating your phone every yr seems ridiculous. We are awaiting a new 27" iMac that we ordered last month! Our mac mini is on its way out...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread