HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » New Suspected Cases of Ga...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 04:35 AM

New Suspected Cases of Gang Rape Show Threat Facing Indian Women

Source: Bloomberg

Indian police are investigating two new cases of possible gang rape, including one with parallels to the assault and murder of a student in New Delhi that sparked a sustained debate about the lack of safety for women.

In one of the latest incidents, a 29-year-old woman was attacked as she traveled alone on a bus operating illegally in the northern state of Punjab, police said. Seven men have been arrested for raping the woman on Jan. 11, police said. In a separate case a day later, a woman was found hanging from a tree half naked in Bihar state. Police suspect she was raped.

“It is a tragedy but at the same time I am not particularly surprised,” Manpreet Singh Badal, a former finance minister of Punjab, who has started his own political party, said in a phone interview today. “Until men fear the law then these types of crime are going to continue.”

The incidents will put further pressure on the government and police to crack down on sex crimes after nationwide protests that were triggered by the brutal gang rape of a 23-year-old medical student in the national capital last month. The woman, who was picked up along with a friend after leaving a city cinema, died two weeks later in a Singapore hospital, leading to weeks of soul-searching around India.

Read more: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-14/new-suspected-cases-of-gang-rape-show-threat-facing-indian-women.html

8 replies, 1770 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply New Suspected Cases of Gang Rape Show Threat Facing Indian Women (Original post)
UnrepentantLiberal Jan 2013 OP
Beacool Jan 2013 #1
Beacool Jan 2013 #2
UnrepentantLiberal Jan 2013 #3
Beacool Jan 2013 #5
yardwork Jan 2013 #4
Beacool Jan 2013 #6
yardwork Jan 2013 #7
Beacool Jan 2013 #8

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Original post)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 09:15 AM

1. The people demanding the death penalty for these kinds of crimes may be right.

Maybe fear of hanging will stop the kidnapping of women and girls by a bunch of animals. If that is what it takes, I'm all for it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Original post)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 02:31 PM

2. It's not just happening in India.

Woman raped by five men in Stockholm

Police are searching for five men who attacked and raped a 22-year-old woman near the Sundbyberg train station in Stockholm in the early hours of Sunday morning.

It was around minus 10 degrees Celsius outside and the 22-year-old woman was walking home from the train station in Sundbyberg, a northern Stockholm suburb.

According to the police, five men attacked the woman from behind at the intersection of the Tulegatan and Fredsgatan streets.

She was then raped on the footpath.

"All five men were involved but it is not yet clear whether they all abused her sexually," Stefan Larsson of the Stockholm police told news agency TT.

http://www.thelocal.se/45590/20130113/

Reply to this post

Response to Beacool (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 03:30 PM

3. Horrible.

I hope they catch them.

Reply to this post

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 05:20 PM

5. Me too.

Animals!!

Reply to this post

Response to Beacool (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 03:35 PM

4. At 10 degrees Celsius I doubt she was wearing a miniskirt.

From time to time there is still a post on DU suggesting that women can prevent rapes if they are more careful about what they wear. If we see those posts on DU, imagine how many people in the real world still think that this is true.

Reply to this post

Response to yardwork (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 05:49 PM

6. It doesn't matter what a woman wears.

But, as a woman myself, we should use some common sense. If I go out, I'm very careful of how much I drink. I have never been so drunk that I have literally passed out. I've noticed that in some of these gang rapes the girls (most of them have been teenagers) have been drugged. It's important not to leave drinks unattended. Better to get a fresh one than be sorry.

As for the boys, I don't even know what advice to give them. I think that most parents try to raise boys who will become good men. I would be heartbroken if I had a son who I found out had sexually abused someone. I would also be extremely angry. Angry enough to wish his sorry ass was in jail. Inexcusable behavior!!!!

Reply to this post

Response to Beacool (Reply #6)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 06:50 PM

7. I'm a woman and I disagree with telling people not to leave their drinks unattended.

Of course it's important for all people to use common sense. People who get drunk to the point of blackout have a problem, and they probably know that they have a problem, and simply telling them not to do it is not going to be enough. It's like telling people who smoke that they shouldn't smoke. They already know that.

As for not leaving one's drink unattended, most people who are drugged before being raped are assaulted by people they trust. It's not reasonable to expect people to "attend their drinks" when they are with family and friends. Men wouldn't dream of having to do this, yet they are just as vulnerable to being drugged as women.

It's fine to remind women to keep an eye on their drinks in bars, but in general I am not a fan of these kinds of advice, which I think imply that women are responsible for keeping themselves from being raped. This creates additional trauma for victims of rape.

As for boys, I feel very comfortable giving them advice! They need to be taught not to rape. Apparently some of them are confused on this subject. They don't seem to have been taught that having sex with an unconscious girl is rape.

Reply to this post

Response to yardwork (Reply #7)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 12:01 AM

8. I was referring to drinks when you go out to bars and clubs,

not when you are surrounded by friends and family. Not all women who have been drugged were drugged by someone they knew. I remember a club I used to go to years ago in my town. One time I came home from college and was told by my friends that we shouldn't go there anymore because some guys were caught slipping Rohypnol in girls' drinks and one girl was taken from the parking lot and raped.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread