HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Cuomo Declares Public Hea...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 12:01 AM

Cuomo Declares Public Health Emergency Over Flu Outbreak

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Kaleva (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: NY Times

By MARC SANTORA

With the nation in the grip of a severe influenza outbreak that has seen deaths reach epidemic levels, New York State declared a public health emergency on Saturday, making access to vaccines more easily available.

There have been nearly 20,000 cases of flu reported across the state so far this season, officials said. Last season, 4,400 positive laboratory tests were reported.

“We are experiencing the worst flu season since at least 2009, and influenza activity in New York State is widespread, with cases reported in all 57 counties and all five boroughs of New York City,” Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said in a statement.

Under the order, pharmacists will be allowed to administer flu vaccinations to patients between 6 months and 18 years old, temporarily suspending a state law that prohibits pharmacists from administering immunizations to children.

FULL story at link.

Read more: http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/12/flu-outbreak-prompts-cuomo-to-declare-public-health-emergency/?partner=EXCITE&ei=5043

2 replies, 517 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Cuomo Declares Public Health Emergency Over Flu Outbreak (Original post)
Omaha Steve Jan 2013 OP
Raine1967 Jan 2013 #1
Kaleva Jan 2013 #2

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 12:15 AM

1. My Family is in NY...

I'm here in Virgina. Just in this past week, My Sister, her 18 year old daughter and 3 year old son came down with the flu. So did my Mom (68) and my Grandmother (93)

Niece, mom and Oma (my grandmother) all got the flu shot.

Fingers crossed for Mom and Oma. Oma fell from being sick, Mom was too sick to pick her up, and thankfully sister and 18 year old nice were able to get to the house and pick Oma up. (She's ok from the fall, the flu is kicking serious arse.)

This flue strain has me worried. Talked to them tonite and it seems like everyone id recovering -- but damn.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 12:20 AM

2. Locking

Duplicate. Please continue discussion here:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014366061

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink