HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Britain to send aircraft ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 07:59 PM

Britain to send aircraft to Mali to assist French fight against rebels

Source: The Gaurdian

Warnings of increased likelihood of terrorist reprisals in Europe after French air strikes on extremists kill more than 100

French troops in Chad prepare to be airlifted into Mali yesterday.

Britain announced on Saturday night that it was deploying aircraft to assist French military operations against Islamist rebels in Mali as an escalation in hostilities was claimed to have killed more than 120 people.

David Cameron's offer to transport foreign troops and equipment involved Britain in a fresh conflict that could provoke terrorist reprisals against European targets. President François Hollande yesterday placed France on high alert as French planes bombarded targets in Mali.

Downing Street said two transport planes would be dispatched, but British troops would not join the French military mission to recapture the north of Mali from al-Qaida-linked rebels acting against the country's government.

"The prime minister spoke to President Hollande this evening to discuss the deteriorating situation in Mali and how the UK can support French military assistance provided to the Malian government to contain rebel and extremist groups in the north of the country," a spokeswoman said. "Both leaders agreed that the situation in Mali poses a real threat to international security given terrorist activity there."

Read more: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jan/12/mali-somalia-france-rebels-islamist-francois-hollande

19 replies, 2713 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 19 replies Author Time Post
Reply Britain to send aircraft to Mali to assist French fight against rebels (Original post)
UnrepentantLiberal Jan 2013 OP
chuckstevens Jan 2013 #1
jpak Jan 2013 #2
ellisonz Jan 2013 #4
Posteritatis Jan 2013 #3
tabasco Jan 2013 #5
ButterflyBlood Jan 2013 #6
Alamuti Lotus Jan 2013 #7
tabasco Jan 2013 #10
Alamuti Lotus Jan 2013 #11
ellisonz Jan 2013 #13
leftynyc Jan 2013 #17
daleo Jan 2013 #8
madrchsod Jan 2013 #9
FrodosPet Jan 2013 #14
ellisonz Jan 2013 #15
FrodosPet Jan 2013 #16
ellisonz Jan 2013 #18
Alamuti Lotus Jan 2013 #12
daleo Jan 2013 #19

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Original post)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 09:21 PM

1. Wow!

You mean Europeans are not asking us to be the police men of the world? Hard to believe!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to chuckstevens (Reply #1)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 09:26 PM

2. It would not surprise me at all if we had CIA or special forces there

n/t

Reply to this post

Response to jpak (Reply #2)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 10:39 PM

4. +1

Odds the CIA does not have boots on the ground in Mali = 0

Reply to this post

Response to chuckstevens (Reply #1)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 10:02 PM

3. It's like that notion is some sort of US-specific narrative as opposed to actual fact. Amazing! (nt)

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 10:43 PM

5. Good to see the French and English teaming up

to destroy barbarian terrorists.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 11:01 PM

6. Good for the French and Brits

These Islamists are some awful people.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 12:11 AM

7. Disappointing to see the Brits & French teaming up again

and ACTING like barbarian terrorists. How brave of these leaders to order airstrikes against cities, and then worry about "terrorist" threats in response--as if what they're doing is so morally superior.

Reply to this post

Response to Alamuti Lotus (Reply #7)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 11:09 AM

10. Go tell the Mali branch of the taliban

"peace, love, dove" and see where it gets you.

Reply to this post

Response to tabasco (Reply #10)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 12:16 PM

11. Oh, it's you again..

I see you found another proposed invasion to haul the luggage for, that's fantastic!

The flimsy arguments for the various invasions are tending to collide, however. In Libya and Syria, the salafi-jihadi forces are the good guys and get the outside guns and money from approved sources, but in Mali they're the devil and the reason to invade? It's so hard to keep up with the blaring absence of coherent principle ingrained in the post-Bush keyboard warrior!

Now, where you got this false idea that I am some dopey peacenik, I don't understand. However, since false ideas are in no short supply, perhaps I shouldn't take it personally.

Reply to this post

Response to Alamuti Lotus (Reply #11)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 03:59 PM

13. You show a glaring ignorance of what happened in Libya and what is still happening in Syria.

The core of resistance in both Libya and Syria has come from the non-extremist moderate Islamist middle classes that after decades of repression have chafed under dictatorial rule. The "salafi-jihadi forces" are a sideshow and have not received "outside guns and money from approved sources." I challenge you to provide evidence that "salafi-jihadi" forces have been intentionally armed.

Reply to this post

Response to tabasco (Reply #10)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 12:12 PM

17. Don't you know

If it comes from the west, it's bad. That's the simplistic thinking of way too many here.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 12:48 AM

8. I guess Mali is this year's war

Like a fashion show. The cool kids will go along, even though most of them didn't know what continent Mali was on a month ago.

Reply to this post

Response to daleo (Reply #8)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 09:37 AM

9. it`s not a fashion show

i take it you do`t have any idea what is happening to mali.

Reply to this post

Response to madrchsod (Reply #9)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 11:40 AM

14. Doesn't matter...not our business

There is no sin in letting others die, only in killing them.

If the rebels in Mali want to cleanse their land of idolatry and apostasy, it is THEIR business. If they want to destroy historical ruins and massacre thousands, even millions, in the name of jihad, our job in the west is to STFU, not send planes and weapons.

------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20833010

23 December 2012 Last updated at 11:07 ET

Islamists in Mali have begun destroying remaining mausoleums in the historic city of Timbuktu, an Islamist leader and a tourism official said.

"Not a single mausoleum will remain in Timbuktu," Abou Dardar, a leader of the Islamist group Ansar Dine, told AFP news agency.

~ snip ~

The news that further monuments were being destroyed came one day after Islamists were reported to have cut the hands off two people.

The Movement for Oneness and Jihad in West Africa, another Islamist group operating in the area, warned that there would be further amputations, AFP reported.

~ snip ~

------------------------------------------------------------

They might not exactly be warm and fuzzy and tolerant, but unless and until they attack and kill people outside the continent of Africa - none of our business.

Reply to this post

Response to FrodosPet (Reply #14)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 11:57 AM

15. "and massacre thousands, even millions"

So you oppose intervention to prevent or stop genocide in all cases?

Reply to this post

Response to ellisonz (Reply #15)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 12:07 PM

16. Actually, no I don't

I think it is terrible what is happening over there. The Ansar Dine and the National Movement for the Liberation of Azawad are horrible butchers destroying both the people and the cultural heritage of Mali. They disgust me to no end.

Unfortunately, I have been suffering from a bad case of "Smartassitis" lately. I've been using sarcasm far too often lately.

In any case, I hope these terrible people can be stopped. Unfortunately, that may make our Saudi masters unhappy, but the Wahabi barbarians can go jump on a stick and bounce like a bunny as far as I am concerned.

Reply to this post

Response to FrodosPet (Reply #16)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 12:14 PM

18. Dude

The Saudis don't support this nonsense. They only backed the Taliban before 9/11 in attempt to retain the influence and control they had from the Soviet War. The Saudis are deeply opposed to Al Qaeda because this extremist ideology is a threat to their rule.

And I'll accept your backtracking as an admission you're not being serious.

Reply to this post

Response to daleo (Reply #8)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 01:40 PM

12. Well, that white man's burden is like some crying infant..

Last edited Mon Jan 14, 2013, 01:53 AM - Edit history (1)

always screaming for somebody to 'pick it up', and thankfully there's some kind souls always willing to oblige. Apparantly "those people" always need to be saved, whether it's in Syria, Libya, Mali, or some other location to be named in a year or two when some new venue is needed for the fireworks show. Anybody who seriously suggests that there is some genuine, benevolent ideological interest driving these campaigns--and not just basic, primal economics--is either naive to the point of imbecility or calculatedly deceptive.

Reply to this post

Response to Alamuti Lotus (Reply #12)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:32 PM

19. Well put

It is rare indeed, when economic interests aren't the major motivator of these events.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread