HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Source: Lance Armstrong p...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 03:57 AM

Source: Lance Armstrong plans to admit doping to Oprah

Source: USA Today

Lance Armstrong plans to make an admission about doping in an interview with Oprah Winfrey scheduled to tape Monday at his home in Austin, Texas, a person with knowledge of the situation said.

In the interview, which is scheduled to air Thursday on the Oprah Winfrey Network, the famed cyclist plans to admit to doping throughout his career but probably will not get into great detail about specific cases and events, the person said. The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to speak publicly about it.

Armstrong, 41, has strenuously denied doping for years, often attacking his accusers as liars and arming himself with high-priced attorneys to fight charges that he used performance-enhancing drugs and blood transfusions to gain an edge throughout his cycling career. But things changed for him after the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency released a massive amount of evidence that showed otherwise in October. Since then, his sponsors dropped him and Armstrong was forced to step down from Livestrong, the cancer-fighting charity he founded.

Armstrong's planned admission carries with it the risk of being sued or held liable by those who believe he defrauded them by lying about his performance and use of drugs. He also could face criminal prosecution, though that seems unlikely. For example, Armstrong testified under oath in 2005 that he never used such drugs, but he is not likely to face criminal charges for perjury because the testimony is beyond the statute of limitations.

Read more: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/cycling/2013/01/11/lance-armstrong-oprah-interview/1828311/

10 replies, 1545 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Source: Lance Armstrong plans to admit doping to Oprah (Original post)
UnrepentantLiberal Jan 2013 OP
Ken Burch Jan 2013 #1
bluestateguy Jan 2013 #2
PSPS Jan 2013 #5
Ezlivin Jan 2013 #8
graham4anything Jan 2013 #3
Cirque du So-What Jan 2013 #4
RedstDem Jan 2013 #7
skepticscott Jan 2013 #9
Earth_First Jan 2013 #6
YOHABLO Jan 2013 #10

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Original post)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 04:03 AM

1. Well, he had to come clean about it sometime, I guess.

Last edited Sat Jan 12, 2013, 09:28 PM - Edit history (2)

(but did anyone else read that headline as "Lance Armstrong plans to admit DOPING OPRAH"? That would be a far more interesting story, actually.)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 04:09 AM

2. I care more about Kim Kardashian's wardrobe than this

nt

Reply to this post

Response to bluestateguy (Reply #2)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 08:23 AM

5. LOL

Reply to this post

Response to bluestateguy (Reply #2)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 01:20 PM

8. Now I finally say I "know" someone who wastes their time

following those people.

I can understand following the sport of professional cycling; I can't fathom the desire to follow shallow, self-centered people.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 04:12 AM

3. He is a fraud bad as Madoff. Lance is the 1%. Doping the public and earning millions off of them.

People say what about the kids?
I say, Lance knowingly and shamelessly used those kids to richen himself and defraud the public.
He should be forced to pay the kids himself out of his megarich bank accounts, for all the money the charity lost after it was revealed.

people always look at the situation backwards.
People see and admire a cheater like lance, and then figure they can cheat in their own job.

Perhaps some of those who hate "bankers" should apply it to Lance. Maybe those bankers
watched Lance bilk the public and figure, if Lance could do it, so could they.

No, it was not just a nothing incident with a sport guy.
Cheating the system starts with the Lances, the Mark McGwires, the Roger Clemens who get away with it, and the kids that idolize them, and the causes they back, get more and more people to abuse the system.

IMHO

if only he spent the millions for the lawyers he hired, on actually giving that money to charity.
Lance reminds me of Mitt Romney. Making a fortune off the backs of the public.
And then thinking he is a great human being.

If he actually cared about the charities and the kids, he would not have done what he did in the first place. Those kids and charities were the shield he hid behind.

BARF.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 07:32 AM

4. Perhaps I'm missing something here...

but isn't planning to make an admission tantamount to just coming out with it already?

Reply to this post

Response to Cirque du So-What (Reply #4)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 09:33 AM

7. ina word

YES!

it is most definitely an admission, without the admission...lol

funny, but since he was competing against other dopers, its just fun and games...
now if it were just him, that would be different.
i don't expect perfection in human beings.

Reply to this post

Response to Cirque du So-What (Reply #4)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 03:50 PM

9. Not in our PR obsessed culture

in which people like Armstrong pay fortunes to image doctors and spinmeisters to craft their "confessions" and "apologies" in ways that try to make them seem like something other than lying, cheating, criminal scum.

He's claimed to have agreed to a "no hold barred" interview. With Oprah. Are you fucking kidding me?

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 08:29 AM

6. Go away.

Armstrong's admission is a step in a process towards returning to competitive cycling on the triathlon circuit.

Go away.

There are hundreds of legitimate athletes competing on the triathalon circuit who care not to compete with a cheat, Lance.

Just. Go.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 09:01 PM

10. So Oprah gets the scoop, not Barbra Walters, not Bob Costas?

These professional cyclists are all ego maniacs anyway .. let them all dope .. I don't care.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread