HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Senator Rockefeller Is Re...

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 02:30 PM

Senator Rockefeller Is Retiring After Five Terms.

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Tx4obama (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: nyt

Senator John D. Rockefeller IV of West Virginia, the scion of the Rockefeller family who established himself as a liberal voice in Congress, said on Friday that he would retire in 2014 at the completion of his fifth term in the Senate.

“As I approach 50 years of public service in West Virginia, I’ve decided that 2014 will be the right moment for me to find new ways to fight for the causes I believe in and to spend more time with my incredible family,” Mr. Rockefeller said in a statement issued by his office.

The decision was not a surprise. In June, Mr. Rockefeller took to the Senate floor to oppose Republican efforts to block a regulation on mercury emissions from coal-fired power plants, declaring, “The coal industry today would rather attack false enemies and deny real problems than find solutions.” The speech was greeted with shock in coal-dependent West Virginia and led immediately to speculation that he would not seek a sixth term in 2014.

Mr. Rockefeller’s retirement could create an opening for Republicans in a state that is increasingly tilting from its once-solid Democratic roots. President Obama won less than 36 percent of the vote there in November after Republicans waged a relentless campaign against what they called the president’s “war on coal.” Republicans persuaded their preferred challenger, seven-term Representative Shelley Moore Capito, to enter the Senate campaign in November after she had declined several previous Senate bids.

Read more: http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/11/senator-rockefeller-is-said-to-be-retiring/?hp

3 replies, 628 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Senator Rockefeller Is Retiring After Five Terms. (Original post)
elleng Jan 2013 OP
samsingh Jan 2013 #1
xxqqqzme Jan 2013 #2
Tx4obama Jan 2013 #3

Response to elleng (Original post)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 02:31 PM

1. kick

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 02:49 PM

2. Rockefeller was governor

when we moved to WVA in '72. He was senator when I left in '82. As long as that state remains beholden to the 19th century and entranced by snake oil evangelicals, the poverty of pocket and mind will remain. It is a shame because it is a beatiful state.

We still have our farmland but I could not live there again.

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 03:50 PM

3. Locking, sorry. LBN Dupe. Please continue discussion on LBN link below