HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Rockefeller won't seek re...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 09:44 AM

Rockefeller won't seek re-election

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by azurnoir (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Associated Press

U.S. Sen. Jay Rockefeller, who came to West Virginia as a young man from one of the world's richest families to work on antipoverty programs and remained in the state to build a political legacy, announced Friday he will not seek a sixth term.

The 75-year-old Democrat's decision, coming at a time when his popularity in a conservative state had been waning for sparring with the powerful mining industry and supporting President Barack Obama, told The Associated Press ahead of his formal announcement that it was time to retire.

After about three decades in elective office, it was time to "bring more balance to my life after a career that has been so obsessively dominated by politics and public policy and campaigns," he said. "I've gotten way out of whack in terms of the time I should spend with my wife and my children and my grandchildren."

Rockefeller's decision will set off a scramble for a seat held by Democrats since 1958. Within weeks of November's elections, Republican U.S. Rep. Shelley Moore Capito vowed to run for the Senate seat in 2014, even if it meant going up against Rockefeller and his storied name. Other Republicans also have been eyeing the seat in recent weeks.

Read more: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ikdAD4VDDWl06pv5u18PNTy0ImRw?docId=bce54d77e4094d4b883d67f0594b025c

3 replies, 408 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Rockefeller won't seek re-election (Original post)
Redfairen Jan 2013 OP
Mass Jan 2013 #1
southernyankeebelle Jan 2013 #2
azurnoir Jan 2013 #3

Response to Redfairen (Original post)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 09:46 AM

1. That is bad news. Rockefeller is a surprisingly progressive Dem who cares about poverty.

I do not know who will succeed to him, but it will clearly be somebody a lot less progressive.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Mass (Reply #1)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 09:51 AM

2. Well another state going to the dogs. You got Manchin who is really a republican in sheeps

clothing. Its sad he is leaving. But who can blame him. They got the wachy right who will probably get the job.

Response to Redfairen (Original post)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 09:56 AM

3. sorry locking duplicate