HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Sheriff Arpaio's school p...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:31 AM

Sheriff Arpaio's school posse: What could go wrong?

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by pinto (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: www.dailykos.com

Not to be out-crazied, and certainly not to surrender the media spotlight, the day after Horne's announcement Sheriff Arpaio stepped before the cameras and blustered (he knows no other way) that he'll send his "posse" to schools to protect our children.

Steven Lemons at New Times contacted Lyle Mann, who's Director of the Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training Board, to ask him about the status of Arpaio's posse members:

"They are not law enforcement officers," Mann told me of the posse members when I called, asking for his comment...
Other than a citizens arrest, does a posse member have the authority to arrest someone? "No, they do not," said Mann, "other than the authority that resides in any citizen, no."

Read more: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/01/09/1177341/-Sheriff-Arpaio-s-school-posse-What-could-go-wrong

My Letter to our school superintendent. Redacted parts to keep the kiddo safe. We live in Maricopa county.
Dear Dr. Educator,

I am writing you to express concern about the county sheriff's plans to use posse members as school security, and what the districts stance is on such a move. As a retired teacher, with a 5th grader attending Educator Elementary, I will not feel safer with these gentlemen patrolling. In fact I feel quite the opposite, I would not mind a small increase to school security, if the district deems it prudent, but only sworn Law Enforcement Officers certified by the state should be patrolling with guns near my child, if at all. I would like to know if Educator School District is part of this program, and what is being done about criminal background checks of posse members if so. As a teacher I had to have a clean criminal history, a fingerprint clearance card, and first aid/CPR training to work with children. I hope Educator School District will require the same of posse members if you are using this program.

3 replies, 1548 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Sheriff Arpaio's school posse: What could go wrong? (Original post)
RetroGamer1971 Jan 2013 OP
Scairp Jan 2013 #1
Tempest Jan 2013 #2
Fuddnik Jan 2013 #3

Response to RetroGamer1971 (Original post)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:52 AM

1. I am really glad I do not live in AZ

But if I did and had a kid in school where these "posses" showed up with guns to supposedly "protect" the school, I would take my kid out and not send her back until these people were prohibited from being there at all, armed or not. This is one of the more psychotic ideas this "sheriff" has had in his infamous career, and as a very old man, why is he still holding this office? He should have been gone at least 10 years ago, and he really needs to go now because he seems to be exhibiting signs of dementia. Madness, just madness.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:55 AM

2. He also said he doesn't care about the posse member's past or background

Pedophiles are lining up to join his posse.

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 12:24 PM

3. Just what we need.

An armed mob of George Zimmermans running loose around the schools.