HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Victims in Delhi rape cas...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 10:48 AM

Victims in Delhi rape case are to blame, defendants' lawyer says

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Rhiannon12866 (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald

Manohar Lal Sharma said his clients will plead not guilty to all charges tomorrow when they make their next court appearance. His comments come as Indians have reacted with outrage to the opinions of politicians and a religious preacher who have accused westernized women of inviting sexual assaults. Sharma said the male companion of the murdered 23-year-old was "wholly responsible" for the incident as the unmarried couple should not have been on the streets at night.

"Until today I have not seen a single incident or example of rape with a respected lady," Sharma said in an interview at a cafe outside the Supreme Court in India's capital. "Even an underworld don would not like to touch a girl with respect."

Sharma's comments highlight frequently aired attitudes toward women in India. Activists say reporting of sex crimes and police investigations of rape are hindered by a tendency to blame the victim for not following the traditional, conservative social roles ascribed to women.

"This is the mentality which most Indian men are suffering from unfortunately," said Ranjana Kumari, director for the New Delhi-based Centre for Social Research. "That is the mindset that has been perpetrating this crime because they justify it indirectly, you asked for it so it is your responsibility."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/victims-in-delhi-rape-case-are-to-blame-defendants-lawyer-says-20130110-2ch95.html#ixzz2HUfEBxMH

15 replies, 2888 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to kpete (Original post)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 10:53 AM

1. Wow. Bless the Indians fighting to bring change to their country.

They are very brave.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 11:05 AM

2. "Blaming the Victim"...

...it seems, is not just an exclusive amerikan entitlement. Christian/Sharia/Hindu/etc., it matters not...only the names are changed to protect the guilty. Justus, indeed.

Response to BlueNoteSpecial (Reply #2)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 11:12 AM

4. it is even more outrageous since they killed her, and are blaming her. This attorney obviously

represents that India has major issues with equality for all

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 11:12 AM

3. Reccing for more exposure, not because I agree with these repulsive comments/attitude.

Patriarchy on steroids. Despicable.

Response to riderinthestorm (Reply #3)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:22 PM

13. I thought that's what a REC was for.

God help me if RECing indicates agreement with the posted article.

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 11:15 AM

5. this woman-hating bastard is a prime example of a discussion on DU yesterday

(thank you, seabeyond, for this excellent post, "the patriarchal utility of the threat of rape")

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022154026

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 11:18 AM

6. So rape is an approved punishment for uppity women?

That is what a lot of people think. That if a woman doesn't follow the prescribed rules of her society she is then to be punished by getting gang raped because she deserves it.

Those upstanding men should be thanked for upholding society's mores. Thank God there's one less slut walking the streets of India.

Response to lunatica (Reply #6)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 12:01 PM

8. did you catch the part about "if she had just chanted god's name the rapists would have stopped?

apparently he does not realize he just admitted his clients did it. but then, as you said, they were just upholding society's mores--should be given medals, not criminal charges. sick bastard, for sure.

backpfeifengesicht is a new word I learned yesterday. it is german, and means "a face desperately in need of a fist" this sharma person is a perfect example.

Response to niyad (Reply #8)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:26 PM

14. "if she had just chanted god's name the rapists would have stopped"

Judge: Which rapists? You mean your clients?

Defense Lawyer: Of course not, your Honor, they are innocent. I was speaking of the people that really raped her.

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 11:43 AM

7. my jaw dropped.

oh my gawd, is this human race evolving at all?
on a related note, i don't like this man's clients chances if this is all he's got.

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 01:49 PM

9. What would he say if

it happened to his sister,mother, wife or daughter

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 01:55 PM

10. I honestly had no idea this mindset still existed in India.

Stupid, stupid me.

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 02:06 PM

11. K&R

POS

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 02:11 PM

12. If memory serves me...

This young lady was coming home from attending college with her fiancee. He was also beaten within an inch of his life but is surviving. I think she fell into the 'respectable' category, what ever that is.

My hat's off to him for offering to defend these scum, after all everyone should be able to have a trial. Many solicitor-pun intended- in New Delhi refused to even take the case. But he is doing his clients no good by running off his mouth with statements of this sort.

This incident has provoked a sea change in public opinion unlike anything I have seen in a while. It is very much like a light bulb clicked on. The youth have been pressing for change but this really upset older people in 'traditional' India. Rape is bad enough but being brutally beaten to death is beyond the pale, even for 'traditional' India. Another thing that will come up in this trial is that one of the accused and one of the most brutal assailant is 17 1/2 years old. The most he can be sentenced is 3 years as 18 is the age of majority in the eyes of the law in India. There is a call for a review of those laws because of this, with a tried as an adult lowered to 16 in cases such as this. I can see this changing also.

This genie is not going back in the bottle.

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:36 PM

15. Locking, sorry, this is a duplicate. Please continue discussion and post updates here: