HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Obama Said Close to Choos...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 09:42 PM

Obama Said Close to Choosing Lew for Treasury Secretary

Source: Bloomberg

President Barack Obama may choose White House Chief of Staff Jack Lew to replace Treasury Secretary Timothy F. Geithner as soon as this week, according to two people familiar with the matter.

The selection of Lew would trigger a White House shuffle for Obamaís second term as he replaces his chief of staff and moves senior aides into new roles, said the people, who requested anonymity to discuss personnel matters.

While Obama hasnít made a final decision to pick Lew, the presidentís staff has been instructed to prepare for his nomination, said one of the people.

Read more: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-07/obama-said-close-to-choosing-lew-for-treasury-following-geithner.html

Lew began his career as a top aide to Tip O'Neil and is a career public servant.

He would be a solid choice.

6 replies, 1280 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Obama Said Close to Choosing Lew for Treasury Secretary (Original post)
banned from Kos Jan 2013 OP
blueclown Jan 2013 #1
banned from Kos Jan 2013 #3
OKNancy Jan 2013 #5
MADem Jan 2013 #6
Left Coast2020 Jan 2013 #2
Moliere Jan 2013 #4

Response to banned from Kos (Original post)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 09:47 PM

1. Career public servant?

You call working at Citigroup and making a boatload of money off of the credit default swap business being a career public servant?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to blueclown (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 09:52 PM

3. yeah, look at his Wiki page, the stint at Citi was during the second Bush term

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Lew

All public service otherwise.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 05:03 AM

5. two or three years out of a lifetime?

If you read his bio, you will find he has been a pretty good guy. Plus Wall Street doesn't like him.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 07:21 PM

6. Are you kidding me? He worked for Joe Moakley and Tip O'Neill.

Since both of those guys are dead, that gives you a bit of perspective as to how long he's been in the public service game.

He worked for Clinton, he worked for OMB, he worked at STATE, and now he's at the WH working for POTUS--he's got a longer public service resume than some people twice his age with high profiles who are regarded as "career public servants."

Reply to this post

Response to banned from Kos (Original post)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 09:48 PM

2. Krugman would be better

Actor Danny Glover(Sgt. Murtaugh) has petition campaign on to nominate Paul Krugman. Hey Danny!!! Beter get those petitions in ASAP!!

Reply to this post

Response to Left Coast2020 (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 11:23 PM

4. Krugman has already turned it down

Sigh...

Yes, Iíve heard about the notion that I should be nominated as Treasury Secretary. Iím flattered, but it really is a bad idea.

Part of the reason is that I am indeed the Worldís Worst Administrator ó and that does matter. Someone else can do the paperwork ó but an administrative job requires making hiring and firing decisions, it means keeping track of many things, and that, to say the least, is not my forte.

Oh, and thereís not a chance that I would be confirmed.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/07/the-outside-man/

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread