HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Clinton to testify on Lib...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 02:05 PM

Clinton to testify on Libya assault Jan. 22

Source: AP

WASHINGTON (AP) — The top Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee says Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton will testify on the deadly Sept. 11 assault in Libya on Jan. 22.

That’s the day after President Barack Obama’s inauguration and the first day the Senate returns to Washington after a two-week break. Sen. Bob Corker of Tennessee disclosed the date in an interview on MSNBC. There was no official word from the committee.

Clinton had been scheduled to testify last month but fell during an illness and suffered a concussion. She was recently hospitalized for a blood clot.

Clinton returned to work on Monday. She had promised to appear before the Senate and House foreign affairs panels before stepping down from her job. Obama has nominated Sen. John Kerry to replace her.

-30-

Read more: http://www.salon.com/2013/01/08/clinton_to_testify_on_libya_assault_jan_22/

7 replies, 1137 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Clinton to testify on Libya assault Jan. 22 (Original post)
DonViejo Jan 2013 OP
brew987 Jan 2013 #1
another_liberal Jan 2013 #3
another_liberal Jan 2013 #2
Wellstone ruled Jan 2013 #4
kiranon Jan 2013 #5
TwilightGardener Jan 2013 #6
SamHarris2012 Jan 2013 #7

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 02:16 PM

1. Tired of the political crap

I hope this doesn't become a bunch of political grandstanding. We owe it to 4 Americans to find out what actually happened and to fix the mistakes made. Let's correct the mistakes so it doesn't happen again and put the blame game on the back burner.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to brew987 (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 02:23 PM

3. There may be great ideas for improving embassy security;

However, this hearing will likely be an exercise in Clinton bashing, nothing more and nothing less.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 02:19 PM

2. More of the same from the same old fools.

The Republican Party has no new ideas, no new plans, no new leadership. All they want to do is make the rich richer, make the federal government weaker and, of course, help Big Energy Corporations rape our nation's environment. They want those things and they want to get even with the Clintons and President Obama. Do not expect much of anything else out of them.

Do remember the nonsense they waste their time on, though, and be sure to vote them out of office in 2014.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 03:05 PM

4. This is going to be a real ass whooping for

the Teabillies. Secretary of State is going to make these assholes look big time stupid. And there isn't a cure for stupid. Watch how the Rethugs will filibuster every statement the Secretary attempts to make and then the tape doctoring by Fake Noise.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 03:30 PM

5. They already know what happened. Sec. Clinton cannot

disclose secrets in an open forum especially when the secrets concern the CIA's intelligence operation in Benghazi. It is purely political grandstanding and an attempt to damage Sec. Clinton's political future. My guess - she will outsmart them all and her questioners will come across as mean spirited, dense, opportunistic and having gone a wee over the edge if not more.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 03:38 PM

6. The biggest thing Hillary has going, both for and against her, in the Benghazi

issue, is that I doubt she was in the loop in terms of personnel security and specific threats. That's my guess, anyway. I doubt they will find that she personally had a hand in denying or reducing security, or assessing and dismissing threats. The most they will have on her is that she was possibly not aware of what the situation was like. She will have to say a lot of "I don't recall" or "I don't know" or "I didn't receive a briefing on that". Again, just a guess--pretty lame for the GOP, hopefully.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 09:45 PM

7. Playing devil's advocate here...

If something stops her from testifying again, then my left eyebrow will raise slightly.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread