HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Gabby Giffords launches g...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 08:12 AM

Gabby Giffords launches group to counter gun lobby

Source: NBC News

A national initiative aimed at curbing gun violence was launched by former US. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and her husband, Mark Kelly, on Tuesday -- the second anniversary of the shooting that killed six people and left her critically injured.

A new campaign website, Americans For Responsible Solutions, promised to “launch a national dialogue and raise funds to counter influence of the gun lobby.”

The couple last week visited Newtown, Conn., where a gunman opened fire in an elementary school, killing 20 children and six adults in December. They also met with New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, a gun control advocate.

“In response to a horrific series of shootings that has sown terror in our communities, victimized tens of thousands of Americans, and left one of its own bleeding and near death in a Tucson parking lot, Congress has done something quite extraordinary - nothing at all,” the pair wrote in an editorial published Tuesday on their site and in USA Today.

Read more: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/08/16411165-gabby-giffords-launches-group-to-counter-gun-lobby?lite

27 replies, 3248 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 27 replies Author Time Post
Reply Gabby Giffords launches group to counter gun lobby (Original post)
IDemo Jan 2013 OP
Scuba Jan 2013 #1
SkyDaddy7 Jan 2013 #25
Scuba Jan 2013 #26
Tigress DEM Jan 2013 #2
CTyankee Jan 2013 #3
AAO Jan 2013 #4
lastlib Jan 2013 #15
AAO Jan 2013 #21
DryRain Jan 2013 #5
COORACPRO Jan 2013 #6
geomon666 Jan 2013 #7
samsingh Jan 2013 #8
onehandle Jan 2013 #9
lastlib Jan 2013 #16
michigandem58 Jan 2013 #10
Xithras Jan 2013 #17
Paladin Jan 2013 #18
Hell Hath No Fury Jan 2013 #11
Bigmack Jan 2013 #12
Odin2005 Jan 2013 #13
cvoogt Jan 2013 #14
Canoe52 Jan 2013 #19
Zookeeper Jan 2013 #20
obama2terms Jan 2013 #22
spicegal Jan 2013 #23
66 dmhlt Jan 2013 #24
HereSince1628 Jan 2013 #27

Response to IDemo (Original post)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 08:40 AM

1. Thank you Gabby.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Scuba (Reply #1)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 06:50 AM

25. I honestly think we should be thanking...

BOTH Gabby & Mark...I know what it is like to be married to someone who has suffered a Severe Traumatic Brain Injury. You feel like you have suffered a brain injury yourself due to how EVERYTHING in the relationship changes in the blink of an eye! I have enormous respect for Mark & how he has handled this entire situation & I feel he is as much a part of this as Gabby is.

I adore Gabby for who she is & her will to fight through this horrible injury as I know exactly what both of them are having to deal with in their personal lives & despite all that they are on a mission to help make the country a safer place for all.

Reply to this post

Response to SkyDaddy7 (Reply #25)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 07:03 AM

26. +1

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 08:48 AM

2. Ouch.

While I admit it is a deserved jab, it is pretty sharp.

She IS in the very unique place to be the one to say it and demand more from her former colleagues.

“In response to a horrific series of shootings that has sown terror in our communities, victimized tens of thousands of Americans, and left one of its own bleeding and near death in a Tucson parking lot, Congress has done something quite extraordinary - nothing at all,” the pair wrote in an editorial published Tuesday on their site and in USA Today.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 09:36 AM

3. Altho nothing can make up for her suffering life long injury from her shooting, she is

performing a profound public service by putting herself out there as a spokeswoman for this noble cause. I truly hope she is not endangering herself once again for doing this, given the level of extremism we have in this country...

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:14 AM

4. Signed up, sent money. Any one who can afford it should do the same.

Reply to this post

Response to AAO (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 12:07 PM

15. got a link? I'll be right behind you.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:43 AM

6. COUNT ME IN

We are well past the time to control firearms inthis country!!!!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:57 AM

7. It's about time this happened.

We have to fight back against this Gun Lobby crap.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:58 AM

8. thank you Gabby.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 11:13 AM

9. I stand with Gabby. nt

Reply to this post

Response to onehandle (Reply #9)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 12:08 PM

16. + a gazillion!!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 11:14 AM

10. I'd prefer she support the Brady Campaign

At any rate, she's a welcome influence.

Reply to this post

Response to michigandem58 (Reply #10)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 12:21 PM

17. Giffords position is fundamentally different from the Brady Campaign

The Brady Campaign has made it pretty clear that their end-game is to ban all firearms.

The NRA has made it pretty clear that THEIR end-game is to create a firearms free-for-all, and they use the Brady Campaign as a bogeyman to scare gun owners into supporting their fringe position by casting all regulation as the first step toward seizure and tyranny.

In Giffords own words:
Forget the boogeyman of big, bad government coming to dispossess you of your firearms. As a Western woman and a Persian Gulf War combat veteran who have exercised our Second Amendment rights, we don't want to take away your guns any more than we want to give up the two guns we have locked in a safe at home. What we do want is what the majority of NRA members and other Americans want: responsible changes in our laws to require responsible gun ownership and reduce gun violence.

Americans for Responsible Solutions isn't advocating firearms prohibition. What they're arguing for is a common sense middle ground position that will allow the government to regulate the firearms trade to help keep dangerous weapons out of the hands of criminals and the unstable, while still protecting the Second Amendment rights of gun owners. They want to make sure that people who own guns are responsible and stable. They are advocating for the position held by the overwhelming majority of gun owners...that regulation is just fine, so long as it doesn't go overboard and start punishing people who have done absolutely nothing wrong and who aren't a danger to anybody.

Reply to this post

Response to Xithras (Reply #17)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 12:54 PM

18. The Right Message At The Right Time. God Bless Gabby Giffords. (nt)

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 11:23 AM

11. I'm in...

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 11:40 AM

12. We're In nt

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 11:45 AM

13. GABBY!!!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 11:53 AM

14. donated. /nt

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 02:30 PM

19. Go Gabby!

Just joined and sent my GF an invitation to join.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 03:44 PM

20. The gun nuts are out in force commenting on that article.

One things that has really stood out to me lately, is that the RWers repeat the same old, stale arguments ad nauseum. "Guns don't kill people; people kill people." Seriously? It's like they've been in suspended animation for thirty years.

Another example, usually presented like the newest, wittiest comment *ever*: "It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve!" Makes me want to slap them and send them back to 1980.

Reply to this post

Response to Zookeeper (Reply #20)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 05:04 PM

22. FTW!

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 07:13 AM

23. Glad to see this happening. I just hope the momentum continues. It's going to take lots of these

coalitions to mount a strong enough campaign to take on the NRA and gun manufacturers. It's time to stop ignoring the escalating gun violence and it's toll on innocent Americans. Va Tech was bad enough, but if the slaughter of 6 year olds doesn't create a catalyst, hard to imagine what will.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 09:12 AM

24. Signed up & Donated!

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:02 AM

27. I understand why the Giffords would focus on criminals and mental illness after her experience

The court has determined Loughner was/is mentally ill. Courts and boards around the country regularly determine that some persons because of mental illness or development should not be in possession of guns.

Of course, the nations desire isn't only to stop shooting massacres. The nation's goals are to reduce gun violence, injuries and deaths across the board.

That the Gifford's suggest that it's too easy for criminals and the mentally ill to purchase guns suggests there is something wrong with the NICS system used for the instant background checks.

What specifically could be wrong with this system???????

Well, lets start with the biggest hole in the background check system...weapons can be sold in gun shows, or legally and illegally between parties without any background check. It's estimated that 2 of every 5 guns sold legally in the US are sold without the instant background check.

Are these people buying guns via the loophole more often convicts or the mentally ill? We can't know, because the numbers aren't reported, even though such sales have been called 'Tupperware parties for criminals'. Despite that, we can probably assume that they are at minimum similar in proportion to the number of persons that the NICS systems catches, and denies.

The data (see table below) suggest that 1) convicts with prison records of more than one year, 2) persons convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence, 3) fugitives from justice, persons with criminal records or outstanding warrants represent 78.35% of the denials from Nov 1998 to the end of Dec 2012

Persons trying to buy weapons but adjudicated prohibited for mental health reasons represent 1.03% of the denials resulting from NICS checks.

Although it may be too easy for both criminals and the adjudicated mentally ill to obtain weapon in the US, it's seems quite likely that convicts are at least 50x more likely to try to make such a purchase.

Another problem with the NICS is that the database isn't very complete. Contribution of records for all categories of prohibited persons is in practice somewhat voluntary with each state deciding on how it will comply with reporting expectations.

So who IS in the database? Who is missing?

It may surprise most Americans to realize that the prohibited category with the most records in the NICS data base are for unlawful/illegal aliens who are represent 62.6% of the records in the database.

The second largest category is composed of the 1.8+ million records of mental health prohibitions that make up 21.88% of the NICS database. We don't really know whats missing here. The current number of persons adjudicated prohibited isn't easily found.

The 727k records of convicts made up 8.74% of the NICS database but 58.51% of the denials. We do know that there are about 2.5 million convicts in the US. That suggests that more than 2/3s of the data is missing for this category.

Many studies on social violence and mental illness have noted the link between substance abuse and violence

The 80K records in the NICS database for unlawful users/addicts of controlled substances makes up 0.22% of the NICS database but this category accounts for 8.2% of the denials. This is one of the categories of the NICS that is quite fluid, persons cease to be unlawful users/addicts and thier status is returned.

So What should be done?

Nonetheless it's fair to say that the gunshow loophole needs to be closed and reporting into the NICS needs to be much more disciplined and that filling in its gaps is a worthy endeavor. That effort to improve the database should probably be broad, with particular emphasis on filling in missing data for prohibited categories that represent the greatest likelihood of purchasing guns.

This table combines information from 2 pdfs available at the FBI NICS information site.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread